PDA

View Full Version : Bottom drain piping and footer question

joshk87
07-17-2012, 09:34 PM
I asked over on another forum but wanted to get some guidance from the good people here as well. Concrete block wall construction, flat bottom. How is everyone running their bottom drain pipe underneath their footers? I drew up a generic version of the koi toilet, but I'm not sure I have the right dimensions of the unit. Should I just use an elbow to get in underneath the footer and then run it back up to the sieve? Here's a pic to help.

Will
07-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Good question. I would run the bottom drain pipe straight, few bends as possible, under the footer, then up to the sieve. I'd want as few bends or fittings (any places things might get caught) under concrete as possible. I know the Koi Toilet ads claim a 4" height over the horizontal discharge pipe, enough for your wire and slab.

Appliance Guy
07-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Yes- simply 90 elbow up.

joshk87
07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
So the koi toilet outlet is deep enough to go under a footer while sitting flat on the pond floor? Based on pictures of the KT online it doesn't appear to be. Does anyone know that dimension that I have in the pic i attached?

Will, if it is 4" then I'll have to reduce the thickness of my footer. I was going to go with 6" thick, but maybe 4" is all that the KT will allow.

Will
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
They have 4" above the discharge pipe, so the dimension you're wondering about should be around 6 1/2". The footer only needs to be 4" for the 4 1/2 " space where the pipe is, so why should it change the rest?

Kntry
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
It doesn't matter how thick your footer is. Just raise the koi toilet so that the rim is level with the slab. The concrete will go under the BD. The 4" that they are talking about is 4" between the pvc connection and the top of the drain.

I'm in the process of building a pond and I have as little pipe under the slab as possible. I have 5.5' of pipe from the BD's to the outside of the walls. All bends will be on the outside of the walls. I don't like the idea of having pipe in the slab or walls since you can't fix a problem.

mpageler
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
If you go with 4" footer depth, which is more than adequate, the KT sump has enought depth that you can run the 4" pipe straight under the footer. That's how I did it and had a slight uphill slope to the filter pit. I installed the BD after the footers/walls/filter pit when in. By trenching under the footer, I was able to precisely locate the BD line as it came up through the pit floor, to my Cetus.

joshk87
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
It doesn't matter how thick your footer is. Just raise the koi toilet so that the rim is level with the slab. The concrete will go under the BD. The 4" that they are talking about is 4" between the pvc connection and the top of the drain.

I'm in the process of building a pond and I have as little pipe under the slab as possible. I have 5.5' of pipe from the BD's to the outside of the walls. All bends will be on the outside of the walls. I don't like the idea of having pipe in the slab or walls since you can't fix a problem.

There won't be a slab in my build. I'm goig with a dirt floor. So I won't be able to raise the koi toilet any, it will sit on the floor flush with the footer.

joshk87
07-18-2012, 11:24 AM
If you go with 4" footer depth, which is more than adequate, the KT sump has enought depth that you can run the 4" pipe straight under the footer. That's how I did it and had a slight uphill slope to the filter pit. I installed the BD after the footers/walls/filter pit when in. By trenching under the footer, I was able to precisely locate the BD line as it came up through the pit floor, to my Cetus.

Thanks for the info. I was worried that a 6" footer might not be enough. Good to hear from a few people that 4" will work. I didn't want to have to elbow down under the footer to get the bottom drain piping outside the pond walls.

mpageler
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Pond footers are not carrying much overhead weight like those for buildings. Meant really more as a level stable platform to stack blocks onto.

Heck, Koi Acres here in MN who has a great reputation for pond building, doesn't even use footers on their poured walls.