Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cetus sieve pipe size gravity fed

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cetus sieve pipe size gravity fed

I have an 8000 gal pond that has little or no mechanical filtering and I was looking at the Cetus sieve. I like that it removes the waste from the water and that it does not put head on my skimpy pump. My system is pumped with a low volume Artesian pump and I get about 40 - 50GPM. This is enough to keep the bio working well and almost happy fish (way too many fish).
    I have 2 x 2" pipes plus 1 x 1.5" pipe. Is this enough to get 3000 GPH?
    I used some tools on the web and found I need a 3" drop to get the flow with this pipe arangement but I am not sure the weir will give me 3" or more of travel?
    The tool I used said a 2" pipe (100% full) with a friction factor of 150 (plastic pipe) 30' long would give me 20GPM, not sure if that is accurate or if it is optomistic?
    Thanks in advance.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry can't help you with the technical details but we all just love to see the details of everybody's ponds. More details. Pics? Video? How many fish? What size/kind? Not being nosey, just love pics and videos. Welcome, BTW. Hope somebody comes along soon and gives you the answer on the pipe size.

Are you having any fish/water parameter issues?
    Annaliese

My Fish ... My Winter Cover ... My Pond ... 6,000 gllns (salt calc), Ultima II 4000, Ultima II 6000, 2 Aerated K1 MBs, Two Multi-Cyclone MC50s, 15" Retro BD on ES5500, no-niche skimmer & mid-water pickup on ES5500, Two 500 cu in leaf traps, 4' Max Depth, shelf at 2' & set of steps (slippery!), no plants, Two 40 watt Smart UV Lite Sterilizers, 12 koi ranging from 12 to 26 inches http://www.youtube.com/user/KoiPondPeppy/videos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are those pipes going to be before or after the pump. The inlet on a cetus is 4 inch, and the outlet to the pump is 2 inch. I have 2-2inch pipes going back to my pond after vmy cetus, and have about 4000 GPH flow. At that flow my weir pulls down about 3.5 inches below pond level. My flow is estimated based on head poressure through a bead filter. Hope this helps some?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The 3 pipes are from the pond so I would join them all together into a single 4".
    I have a 2" from a bottom drail, same for the 1.5" and a 2" from a skimmer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks DCinKS, can you tell me how much travel the weir has?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Welcome! You have come to right place! You will have the correct answer here shortly, as there is an honorable dealer that is a member of this forum. But in the meantime, you can screw it up with me!

To best determine your thoughts, tell us more about the system, your needs and why you are doing this. Pictures are really effective, as well.

The cetus can either be gravity fed, or pump fed. Gravity fed is far more superior as waste water is filtered Before it goes through the pump. Having the Cetus after the pump will work, however the water is chopped up at that point and the filter is less effective. For a gravity fed Cetus, I'd think a 3" BD and piping would be minimum, a 4" would be Fine, and 2- 4" would be Best. Keep in mind the goal is to get as much of the nasty sludge water through that line and into the Cetus as possible. Why spend that kind of money if you're just gonna restrict it with a small diameter line, thus reducing the effectiveness? If the Cetus will handle a flow rate of 4800gph, why not push it to the max and get the most bang for your buck?

Honestly, based on the very brief decription we have- my suggestion is to take some time and look around this forum. The details to all your answers are in here. Go straight to Stickies in this section and read Birdmans Basics, you will have a much clearer picture of how the proper way to set things up are.

Do not hesitate on questions. Bounce some ideas around with us. Learn of some other methods. Have a good time. And Welcome!

Edit: After re reading Look, I certainly don't want to mis-inform you on this as I really don't know your needs. Seems to me there are serious issues in an 8000 g pond w/ litle or no filtration. You may need to back up just a tad, and come up with a solid plan. Sounds like you want to do things right, so now is the opportunity.
    Last edited by Appliance Guy; 07-13-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: more
    This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember, we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was not very clear before, here is a little better description of the issue.
    I have a 15 year old pond that is built of concrete or gunnite. It has a small 1/4 horse pump and it supports 36 fish that are all 18" or longer. Some are almost 3' long and big fat things. The bio is a converted sand filter with Kaldness in a down flow. It works exceptionaly well as a bio but I have little mechanical filtering other than a Turbo Vortex prefilter before the pump. It get about 1/10 of the muck out the pond, the rest gets ground in the pump and recirculated.
    The pond has 3 pipes 2 x 2" and 1 x 1.5" going from the pond to the filter. I cannot change this easily, actualy at all. I am looking for a good way to remove solid waste before the pump. The Cetus looks like a killer way to do it "if" I can get the flow through my pipework. By my calcs i can get 50GPM using gravity through those pipes if I have a 3" drop, I am not sure if this is right?
    Does anyone have experience of a Cetus gravity fed from something less than a 4" pipe?
    How much travel does the weir have, can it move more than 3" below the pond waterline?
    Is there another sieve type filter that could work or would an upflow bead filter and not create a ton of back pressure?
    Again, thanks for the help and ideas.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quick question. Is the pond ground level or semi-raised?
    This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember, we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just thinking aloud here, but for sure you are not moving enough water. You will need a larger pump, what size, we don't know yet. Again, any sieve type (or any other filter) is limited by how much water moves through it. By "drop" are you refering to how far below the pond water level? If so, the water "drop" (discharge?) rate is not proporionate to how far below water level it is. The rate is limited to the volume of the pipes. I would think you can get a just larger than right sized pump and and see how much flow you are really gravity draining. By using valves on the 3 pipes and a valve on discharge, you can tune it to max flow. How you'd know is when the water level in the pond starts to rise, your 3 pipes are maxed out and you need to back down the discharge. Kinda depends on how this is plumbed. I think you are on the right track. Stick around, you'll get some good ideas. But don't look for a flow rate for your 3 pipes. Too many variables. You don't know how it was plumbed, do you? If so, we need to know.

(Cue the Hold music)
    Last edited by Appliance Guy; 07-14-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The pond is in teh ground, I cant figure out how to post a picture yet. The pump equipmet is down hill of the pond so it is easy to get below the pond surface level.
    I think you miss read some of my previous post. I have a skimmer on a 2" pipe. I have a BD on a 2" pipe and I have a 1.5" pipe from another BD that was a small down filter chamber in the pond. There is no 1" pipe.
    The pump is actual big enough, all water tests prove the pond is in excelent health. The power cost here prohibits a larger pump or a second pump.
    I remove the waste with a fine net from the bottom of a settlement chamber in the pond. If I could post a pic you would see that the pond is actual three ponds in one.
    I am trying to remove my scooping poop from the equation.
    If I pumped to the Cetus I would have a hard time getting the water back to the pond as it is uphill.