Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy DIY plumbing for new ponds-3 different types

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket

Easy DIY plumbing for new ponds-3 different types

All of my ponds are DIY filtration and do require a bit more upkeep than the back flush and go type filtration--but, all and all it only take me about 10 min. to clean out the filter and then start the re-fill--I do this 2 times a week on average.and they are all gravity fed-meaning the mechanical filters water level must be the same as the ponds in order to work (no this does not mean it has to be as deep--just the top water level)

Water garden with diy filtration
    I guess I should start where most of us have started from and that would be a water garden with goldfish.Mine is around 800-1,000 gallons some what shallow at 2' deep with a large shelf for plants(shelves can also give birds places to sit and take out fish so please be aware of this when building your pond) also I do not use rocks in the bottom of the pond.Rocks around the edge is fine.

This is a picture of the pond before I laid the rock edging-it measures roughly 8 x15x2

DIY bottom drain which is made from a 10" pvc cap with 2" pvc pipe

inside DIY bottom drain

2" pipe going from bd to mechanical filter(everything to this point will not be glued so that if you need to detach the drain for any reason you can do so-everything on the other side of this will be glued so you don't have leaks)now making the hole in the liner-just make sure you cut your hole half the size your going to need so for a 2" pipe I cut a 1" hole-push the pipe thru the hole(a little silicone on the pipe will make the sliding easier and also make sure you have no leaks-tighten a metal clamp down over the liner onto the pipe then place a scrap piece of liner over the clamp so your fish can't get hurt on the clamp.

Your bottom drain then needs to go to a mechanical filter-the water level in this filter need to be the same water level as the pond as this is a gravity fed system -In this pond I'm using a submersible pump so the pump goes into the filter but, behind the filter media. If your using an in line you would simply put the pump either behind or beside the filter box.
    Since this is really a very small pond I just used what I had laying around which was a half barrel-commercial sinks work great for this small of a pond also. a bulkhead fitting makes the connection from pipe to container alot easier and fool proof...

The water leaves the mechanical filter and should be clean so your bio will not get soiled-again since I'm only housing a few goldfish in this pond the bio is quite simple I put the hose from the pump into the bottom of a large flower pot filled with bio material(here I'm using lava rock, but, any bio material can be used) the water comes thru the bio and out the top..I also put some creeping Jenny and some dwarf sweetflag in the top of my bio pot so it doesn't show the bio material.

this is a picture of the bio falls when the plants filled in-

Again I can not stress that this pond is NOT suitable for koi-but, only water plants and a few goldfish or mosquito fish.

Cleaning this type of pond
    This pond never requires a complete empty out since you have a bottom drain.it does require some up keep. about 2 times a week during the feeding season I start by disconnecting the pump from the tubing going into the bio-connect a short piece of tubing to the pump and take out about 10-15% of the water from the pond then I take out the brushes and mats and rinse them off with the hose. I then use a shop vac to vacuum out all the crud from the mechanical filter(this is great to use on your flowers and shrubs). replace the brushes,mats and pump then fill the pond back up.
    Last edited by tranquility; 09-18-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket

My second pond-what I call a hybrid retro DIY

This pond is just a bit of everything from a hybrid (between a koi pond and water garden) its all DIY and retro(meaning all the plumbing was put in after the pond built. This was originally one of those ponds where I dug the hole threw in a pump and called it a pond.So all the plumbing is a bit odd-when I say that you'll very soon see why I did...

DIY Hybrid Retro 2,000 gallon pond

This pond is 7x13x3 with a 200 gallon top basin and cascading falls.And houses my longfins.
    this picture was taken a year after the pond was built and changes were made.

Now for its unusual plumbing. Lets start with its in pond skimmer-Yes it is a dog dish.and the pipes go into the side of the pond just as the other ponds. and underground into the mechanical filtration.Again all pipes inside the pond are not glued so you can adjust the skimmer up and down as needed depending on water level.

This is one of two bottom drains and yes they are salad bowls turned upside down with 1/2 pvc pieces attached to the rim of the bowl so that there is a gap between the bowl and liner.

both pipes from the bds go into the side of the pond-just like the pond above.

and to the mechanical filter-set up basically just like the water gardens except this one is a commercial sink-Remember this is a gravity fed filter so the mechanical filters water level must match the ponds water level.
    again I'm using submersible pumps so they go behind the brushes and mats(this is 3 days worth of accumulation during the heaviest feeding time of the year).You clean this filter the same way but, instead of putting on small piece of tubing I just disconnect the tubing from the bio and do my water change there.

Bio filter sits behind the water falls and empties back into the top basin of the falls.

Inside of bio filter-this is an upflow system-I have wadded up bird netting at the bottom and then the filtration-I have a grate that sits just above the inlet so their is an empty chamber there at all times(this would be great to add a valve so you can just flush the bio out)
    Note how clean the bio is bio can work efficiently if it is dirty

and then bio empties into the top basin

Cleaning this type of pond
    basically the same as the first-you just disconnect the tubing going into the barrel(would be made easier if you just put a valve in)....do your water change(I do about 25-30%) on this pond a week. take out your brushes and pads rinse with a hose.vacuum out gunk with a shop vac. replace brushes and mats and refill with water.
    Last edited by tranquility; 09-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket

the last pond is my koi pond with DIY filtration

My 6,000 gallon koi pond DIY filters

The koi pond is 6,000 gallons 13x18 one end is 4 1/2' deep while the other end is 5' deep.Normally there will be NO plants in this pond but, right now we are hoping for a spawn.Again this is a gravity fed system

I'll start with the bottom drains-the bottom drain on the end has DIY air added to a 4" drain.

the bottom drain 4" pipes run under the liner and into the front of the Mechanical filter which in this case is a 100 gallon stock tank.

Then a row of brushes and a row of 2" matting with a 1" matting on the bottom.

the exit to the in line pump is behind the matting-I used bulkhead fitting to connect the tank with the pipes.

pump sits behind the tank-

a picture of all the pipes-

275 gallon tote used as bio tank also air pump-

inside bio-as you can tell there is air in this also-
    Last edited by tranquility; 09-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    skimmer-I really need to move this..it needs to be across from the pipes coming from the bio tank. going back into the pond.

UV light after the skimmer

Moving K1 barrel after UV light

K1 filter water return to the pond

I have two water pumps on this pond-one is behind the mechanical and pushes 4,000 gph. the other is in the skimmer and moves about 1,500 gph (this really should be a bigger pump).I am not finished with this pond while it is functional it is by far finished-I still have to raise the sides up another 2 blocks high since we had soo much extra liner I don't want it to go to waste and I need to put a permanent fencing around the pond something decorative but, will keep small children from falling in also I need to hide the gawd ugly 275 gallon bio tank. I also plan on adding a shower filter to this pond next year.
    Last edited by tranquility; 09-18-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Please feel free to post any of your beginner ponds or filtration that may help a new comer to build the best pond they can.
    Lawanna

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    nice example of the 3 ponds Lawanna!
    isnt it funny how we learn and grow!
    I started with a hole in the ground with no filtration! the guy at home depot told me as long as the waters had circulation they would not stangate and that was all I needed! lol!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow, awesome pics,lots of info displayed. One question, with three ponds, do you have any time to do anything besides maintain them? LOL Just kidding.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Oh Randy this isn't all of them but, as I said it only takes me about 10 minutes each to clean the mechanical filters on these and start the refill-I also have a 1,000 gallon above that I grow out longfin babies in, a 5,000 gallon pool that I grow out Asagi babies in and a 400 gallon above ground that I grow out goldfish in-Plus 4 sale tanks that I keep going year around and maintain..plus I grow and sell aquatic plants so I do have more than my plate full year around--I'm pulling back alot on the plants so I can focus more on my Asagi...
    Lawanna

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Banned
    Let this be a stellar example of what one can do DIY. Besides the things that she cant make herself (rubber hose, pumps, liner), she has done most of it with alternative equipment. The dog dish adds a special touch. This is an example of a person that knows the limitations of each system and uses it accordingly without exceeding the boundaries. Very nice show!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do you have any kind of mechanical filtration after your skimmer before it enters your K1 MB?