Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My journey from goldies to koi - Add your journey-goldies, koi or both!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator

My journey from goldies to koi - Add your journey-goldies, koi or both!

I've had fish since I was born. I would empty my milk bottle in the tanks, playing with the goldies.

I had multiple tanks of goldies and tropicals all my life growing up and after I got married. I can remember going to school fairs and begging my parents to let me throw the ping pong ball into the goldfish bowls. You would have thought I won a million $$ with that .05 feeder goldie. Even as a kid, I was always happiest around fish of any sort and wanted to be the female version of Jacques Cousteau.

One day, I went with a friend to take care of her customer's animals while they were out of town. When she opened the gate, there sat a huge (at the time) koi and goldie pond in the corner of the yard. Never in my wildest dreams did I know you could have fish outside in the yard. That was the beginning of my downfall.

I dug a hole in the front yard the next day and put visqueen in it. Luckily, I didn't have fish that day because it was empty the next morning. LOL

I started digging a pond in the backyard the next day. Every day after work for 2 months, I dug. When the pond was finished, I added koi and goldies.

As time went on, I wanted all koi in the big pond so I built an above ground goldie pond. When we moved 1 1/2 years ago, I had a 3000 gallon goldie pond in addition to my 4 koi ponds.

I built a 3500 gallon lily pond at this house that is full of goldies.

I still love having goldies but they are in their own pond now.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have always had goldfish as a kid also. And yes, the County Fair was always the place to get them. When I got married, the hubby didn't want fish, so while I was married to him, I had none. After a long single period, married hubby #2 and one day at Home Depot, seen a 90 gallon preform pond. Bought it and he dug the hole for it. It just sat there with water in it for the longest time. My son kept asking me when am I going to buy fish for it, I didn't know anything about outdoor fish and at the time, didn't have a computer. He had a big tank with an Oscar in it, one day while I was at work, he stopped in and put a feeder fish in it that his Oscar wouldn't eat. I came home from work and seen it and was so excited to see a fish swimming around in my new little pond. Went to the pet store and bought a couple more.
    Had that for a couple of years than bought a liner from Home Depot and made the pond bigger. 500 gallons. Me and my other son was at a local garden center and noticed they sold Koi 2/$30. Picked out 2 and put them in the pond. The 2 Koi were out growing the pond, so bought more liner and gave the hubby a shovel and now it's about 1500 gallons.

Years later I still have my son's feeder goldie and still have that first Koi I picked out (Gracie).

Great thread Sandy !!
    ~Doreen~

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    So funny how we start out similarly with goldfish! I also had tanks in the house growing up and have always been an animal lover. When I was in high school I began working at a pet shop and did that through college. Lots of cleaning tanks, etc. As an adult, I purchased a house that a 20 year old goldfish pond in it--there was maybe 20 goldfish in it that you couldn't see because the water was frightfully green. There was no filtration, and yet these fish managed to survive year after year. The owner of the house told me he didn't even feed the fish! When we bought the house, I told my husband that the first thing I was going to do was rip out the pond as I didn't want "the work."

Well, of course, I felt bad for the 10 cent feeder fish and worked on retrofitting the pond (about 1,200g in total). I added a 55 gallon barrel filter, popped in a AquaArt retro drain, a small UV, etc. And of course, the water cleared and I could see the fish. I had a lovely glass of wine there every evening and enjoyed the peace. Then I got more adventurous and bought some sarrassa goldfish, and then took it a step further and purchased watonai from RainGarden in Hawaii. They were stupidly expensive and the shipping was insane, but I just had to have these gorgeous double-finned pond fish. At the same time, I had been introducing little fingerling sized koi and the pond slowly became overstocked. Which led to the excuse of building another pond...just for koi.

I still have one of the watonai in my current koi pond (which I will re-home to a friend this spring). I love to see him there, as it tells the story of my journey. But now I am too addicted to koi, so he needs to move--but luckily to a pond nearby where I can still enjoy him.
    This is my opinion. It is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Well my journey is goldie to goldie.............still goldie staying goldie lol

Fish tanks as a child, goldfish always in that tank, my kids
    College, had a tank in the majority of the places I lived, a variety of fish
    first home, had salt water tanks, fresh water tanks, from 50 gallons to 175 gallons. My last tank was 175 gallons with ciclids, the tank became self sustaining. babies born, growing, adults dieing.

Married my previous husband, moved that tank two times, but left it in arizona, it was darn heavy, 8 foot long, no place for it here in maryland.

When I moved into his house, nice empty back and front yard. He went pig hunting one weekend, when he came back I had a 8x3x3 pond dug. Right off our back patio. My first up flow mini bog filter was created as a way to keep the water clean. Two whiskey barrels stacked on top of each other.

The water flowed up through the top whiskey barrel, water falled down into the next whiskey barrel the water then worked through the pea gravel and plants and came out the bottom of the barrel, water falled back into the pond.

The next pond was build outside our front door, between the sidewalk and the front of the house. (we then had to fence it because of az laws on water) That pond I used a full whiskey barrel, upflow, with pea gravel as the filter.

Both ponds stayed clean and pretty.

We moved xx years later to the house on a acre. Nothing but grass that cost way to much to keep green.

Had a nice wet winter, the ground became a little softer than a rock, we dug out our arizona pond, 38x20x5 with a 40 foot stream and a up flow gravel filter.
    Loved that pond, just mutt goldfish and shubunkins, but they sure grew and where pretty fish.

Waterfall up flow gravel filter, stream with sandstone bridge, the pond with gazebo we built from lumber we hauled down from our colorado home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    About 5 years later he passed, I met my sweetie and moved to maryland.

Wow 4 acres of land, grass...........humm what can I do with this much space?

He buys me a kubota tractor for our first wedding anniversary, the digging starts. The slopes have to go from grass to plants, I slide off with every mowing, 25 degree slopes.

A summer later, have a 85 foot stream, with multiple small ponds, and a 10k or so pond at the bottom of the stream. A planted slope, no more grass, on that area of our yard. We pick up some feeders to get the pond started toward the end of the summer, we think all die (had a ph issue........acidic well)

Shut the pond down for the winter, it gets covered with 8 inches of ice. It melts in the spring and 5 fish show up. two shubunkins, one white goldfish, two gold.

Big mamma (she spawned a lot)

the fan tail shubunkin

The five original fish, we had just started the pond from the winter freeze and these guys were there.

I picked up a mix of goldfish and shubunkins from wally world when they were changing out their tanks.

I love my mutt fish......they are pretty, long and short fins, multi colors, shubunkins, goldfish, white ones
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by addy1 View Post
    He buys me a kubota tractor for our first wedding anniversary...
    Now THAT is one romantic fellow!
    This is my opinion. It is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Then I rescue some fish...........fell in love with the butterfly comet, so graceful, so much fun to watch on the camera. The others are great to, but they zip around, this guy just floats.

I am on a mission to find some more butterfly comets............if anybody knows how to find some let me know. (next spring)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by koikeepr View Post
    Now THAT is one romantic fellow!
    Laughing it was the best gift someone could ever get me!

This is what it created.......roof view, this was all grass

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I must say that I've never been attracted to goldies, but than again, I was accustomed to seeing the regular ones and the chubby ones that don't swim so well. Oh and the bulging eyed ones. So, I thought that's all about Goldfish that I needed to know. Boy am I wrong. I was in shock when I went to the Atlanta Koi and Goldfish Show. There was some very impressive goldies there. Never knew they had so much color and variety. Then is started paying attention to Chris's goldies and I can easily see the attraction. Just saw Paul's goldies and I will say the goldfish are awesome. I think they deserve more respect than most folks give em. I hope to see more goldies displayed here. Goldies Rock!
    Enjoying the ponds....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    my ponds started after my daughters grandmother was given 3 fish in a tank, she later had to go into a nursing home when my daughter was about five, she asked my daughter if she would like them as she didn't want the bother of taking them with her.... so it was mum oh can we have them Pleaseeeeee !!! so silly me said yes, thinking it cant be to hard to look after 3 tiny goldfish, well the years past and they grew and the tanks had to grow too :( then we moved here about 11 years ago and had a bigger garden and i had this bright idea instead of keep buying new tanks lets build a pond or rather a whole in the ground with water, anyway long story short put the 3 fish in the new huge pond (well it wasn't
    huge but after a tank im sure the fish thought it was)

a few weeks later we saw these tiny little things swimming around< hundreds of them !! some had to be re-homed, sadly the original 3 have since d died, but all the ones i have now are there descendants ... would love koi if i had the money for a large pond, but would still have to keep my goldies ,,,
    Helen