Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Koi selecting for show or pond and how are they judged

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    You've been a busy little boy!

Thanks for posting all the information.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hope it helps.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bill, that's an excellent grounding in principles of distinction of varieties and quality. I hope that members will read this well, as it will really help to provide background knowledge to understand comments of our more experienced members, and to understand decisions and posts by judges. A good understanding of what is stated here will really help members understand, for instance, Troy's ideas on koi and his comments on what to look for in young koi purchases.

Many thanks to Bill for putting this up for us all to read and reference.

Will Schultze

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Enjoying the ponds....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I enjoyed your articles very much. Thanks for posting this, it its a good a synopsis for us all.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This would be a good sticky.
    Enjoying the ponds....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    db_file_img_2595_autoxauto.jpg grand champian.jpg This Sanke is grand champian. She is a 7 year old, 85cm Matsunosuke Sanke, the quality is amazing. She has won a Grand Champion award in Japan, she won the All Yamanashi Koi show. Matsunosuke Koi of this quality often peak at around 12 to 14 years old, the quality of the blood line is the best in the world and she will continue to improve for many years to come. She is still very much a Tategoi. Please check it for more pictures http://qualitynishikigoi.com/blog/po...i-azukari-koi/
    Last edited by Ashley; 01-17-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWilly View Post
    SHOWA
    Showa is also a Kohaku, that has a black pattern on top. This time, however, we have a different type of black. Now instead of Bekko black, we have Utsuri black. Again Utsuri will be discussed later. Also, again, you must start with that perfect Kokaku. The word, Kohaku, sure comes up a lot. Take the perfect Kohaku and add the black in the right places and you have Showa. Showa is a combination of a good Kohaku and a good Shiro Utsuri.
    The head on a Showa is very important. This time the head must have black on it. In fact it must have all three colors on it. The shoulder area of the fish should have all three colors and the Ozuke, tail region, should also have all three. Many Showa are missing the white in the face, but white softens the look for elegance. Classic head patterns start with a good Kohaku face. Then black comes either down the face to divide it, or down the face and across the shoulder to form a Y. This is called Hachiware.
    The sumi on the fish should be strong. It should look like it emanates from the bottom of the fish and properly wrap the body. It is this wrapping of color that gives the Showa the look of strength. There is no more powerful fish than a good Showa. It has double power in the wrapping of red and black. It also has the high contrast of three colors. After the head, the rest of the sumi should be bold and balanced. Look closely at body conformation because of all the black. The black can hide defects in body, mouth and head.
    Pectoral fins should have Sumi at the base, up against the body. This is called Motoguru. Ideally it should come out about one third of the pectoral length. Also the most perfect motoguru is surrounded by white. The front ray of the pectoral is white. The sumi does not go to the tip and the back ray is white. Strong motoguru is an indication that the sumi will be stable as the Koi grows. Dorsal fin is best in white as is the tail, but black in them can be fine. Avoid brush sumi pectorals, which looks more like stripes, or solid black pectorals. Even on young koi, the pectorals should start having the sumi pull back. Some modern Showa have clear fins, as Kohakus are bred back in the crosses to brighten the red. See you must get back to that perfect Kohaku always. Nose sumi also adds to the elegance of Showa and makes it more powerful.
    Again look for luster in the color. No windows should appear in the Hi or sumi. It should have good edge to the color in Sashi and Kiwa. Speckled black is poor quality.
    Be careful in buying a Showa. With all the inbreeding, body deformities are very common. Mouth and head deformities top the list as well as spine deformities. Good Showa are sometimes hard to find. Even in Showa crossed with Showa, there is only about a 30% spawn of Showa. Then to get the clarity and the balance, and proportion of color, is very tough.
    I am glad you posted this.

Recently, while discussing pattern and looking at Showa tosai with a ZNA Koi judge, he said that it was wrong to say a good Showa must have a good Kohaku pattern. I know that some Showa do, but the point was, I was wrong all these years when I would tell people, new to Koi, that a good Showa was a Kohaku with Utsuri sumi on top. The Koi judge explained that a good Showa pattern does not need a good Kohaku pattern.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I love my koi fish even if they are not perfect for me they are all beautiful