Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unplanned Koi spawning

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

unplanned Koi spawning

If you own Koi long enough, eventually you will experience an unplanned group spawn.

Yesterday morning I looked out at my smaller quarantine pond and saw this:

Over the years I have experienced several group spawns. This one was different.

I keep only 3 Koi in this pond to maintain the biological filtration.

The spawning was basically between two Koi. A female Kohaku and a male Soragoi. Not as violent as past spawnings where several males were involved.

By mid day the pond looked like this:

I have experienced much worst mess in previous spawnings.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To clean up the mess it is recommended to do water changes.

It has been my experience it is best to remove the surface water by over flowing the pond if possible.

This pond is about 12 feet long, so I set up a garden hose at one end spraying the surface foam towards the lowest pond edge.

At the other end, where the pond water over flows the pond edge, the surface foam can leave the pond.

If you do nothing, you put a huge burden on your filtration and the pond water quality will suffer.

Within minutes the pond water surface foam was greatly reduced.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    An alternative method would be to divert water going into a pool skimmer to an overflow.

An Ethan phoam phraxionator fed with water from a pool skimmer would work too.

Some other things that are helpful are having enough dechlor and possibly some ammonia binder on hand. I am going to have to do more water changes today.

Some people remove the spawning female to a properly set up quarantine/hospital tank. It is not uncommon for spawning females to be injured during spawning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great thread Richard.
    One won't know fact until they know fiction.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It is not uncommon for a spawning female to be killed by your wife's $4 male doits ki matsuba butterfly.....

That happened 7-8 yrs ago, and she was the reason Koishack came to be...

A very lovely Torazo from Ray Abel

showa8.jpg

Thanks,

Dale
    (Delighfully tacky, yet unrefined)

AKJA Certified Koi Judge
    AKJA Webmaster
    Member of ZNA South
    Member of IKONA
    Member of MPKS
    Honorary Member of Potomac ZNA

The views presented are my personal views and not that of any professional and/or nonprofit organization that I may belong to or have been a member of in the past unless otherwise specified (dalerg@chartertn.net). In other words, if you don't like my gate, don't swing on it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gingerich View Post
    It is not uncommon for a spawning female to be killed by your wife's $4 male doits ki matsuba butterfly.....
    That happened 7-8 yrs ago, and she was the reason Koishack came to be...
    A very lovely Torazo from Ray Abel
    showa8.jpg
    Is that the female Koi killed by the male butterfly?

I have never heard of a female Koi being killed during spawning. And Koishack is gone.

It is not uncommon for a female Koi to be damaged during spawning and a concern for people who keep expensive show Koi.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    yes, that is her, the Torazo female showa that was killed....

by the butterfly......a long, thin, torpedo shaped missile.....

I was told not to put her in, but I did not listen, it was a Friday, and I was planning on doing the switching waiting for the weekend....

but in my stupidity, and unfortunately at the demise of a very lovely koi, I did not listen....and as I said, put it off....

The butterfly started on one side of the pond and waited for showa to get up against the wall and rammed her, and she sunk like a stone and could not recuperate from her injuries.....

And those events started the ball rolling for the birth of KoiShack, way back then...

Thanks,

Dale

AKJA Certified Koi Judge
    AKJA Webmaster
    Member of ZNA South
    Member of IKONA
    Member of MPKS

The views presented are my personal views and not that of any professional and/or nonprofit organization that I may belong to or have been a member of in the past unless otherwise specified (dalerg@chartertn.net). In other words, if you don't like my gate, don't swing on it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gingerich View Post
    yes, that is her, the Torazo female showa that was killed....
    by the butterfly......a long, thin, torpedo shaped missile.....
    I was told not to put her in, but I did not listen, it was a Friday, and I was planning on doing the switching waiting for the weekend....
    but in my stupidity, and unfortunately at the demise of a very lovely koi, I did not listen....and as I said, put it off....
    The butterfly started on one side of the pond and waited for showa to get up against the wall and rammed her, and she sunk like a stone and could not recuperate from her injuries.....
    And those events started the ball rolling for the birth of KoiShack, way back then...
    Just curious, how did that event prompt the start of KoiShack?

BTW: My el cheapo female Kohaku looks fine. And the male Soragoi a gentleman, not some disgusting caveman butterfly.
    Last edited by ricshaw; 05-22-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The straw that broke the camel's back really....started a couple of rifts, sides were chosen.....lines drawn.....and a mass exit from one forum to a newer one, Koishack

The usual koi/internet/club/political garbage..... lol...

And perhaps an ego or two involved and bruised along the way.....

Thanks,

Dale

AKJA Certified Koi Judge
    AKJA Webmaster
    Member of ZNA South
    Member of IKONA
    Member of MPKS

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I saw a post by Peter Waddington that Malachite Green crystals will stop a spawn by destroying the pheromones. I had an unplanned spawn this year and it was brutal, thought I was going to lose my tancho.