Page 1 of 57 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goshiki from day one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Goshiki from day one

Good morning folks, a little background on me this way we can get on the same page. I have been working with fish since I can remember, was breeding African Cichlids for the longest specialized breeding frontosas. Could sex the fish @ 2" am one of those that when I attemp something I not only keep mental notes I photograph and take hand notes. Ok, did not get serious with Koi until 2010, it was the first Anniversary of my AC buissness and Asagi Air Conditioning gifted me with a two Asagis from Black Water Creek. Ill try to document as accuratelly as I can the development of these koi. The goal here is to try to help some of us, yes including my self. Tim's Thread caught my attention and since we have totally different styles of Goshiki at one point it got a little worried because it would probably cost me an arm and a leg to feed almost a 1000 baby fry to 6". I will tell you this I am blessed here in Orlando because there are some folks here that know how to grow them big, fast and have the hardware to do that and that to me its a great tool, who would say no to a great fish and in tern all they have to do is let me keep track of the changes and growth and at the same time I will keep 50 or so fish for my own enjoyment. At this point I will tell you that I think the first indication of a Goshiki in the making is the black area on the nose, the first indication I could notice was a little Hi on the shoulders of the larger ones, when they turn on the sides at night with the light on you can see a metal like flash on the skin. Now they are 16 days old and some of these fish are at 2" (toby's of course) about 60% of the hatch are 1 to 1.5" and about 30% are 1" and a little smaller, but this morning I went out to feed and noticed that a few more than yesterday are starting to show black or less call it a dark coloration on the nose area. I think that's important, a while back the gentellman from mistik koi in Ca. intervied a you fellow from koda and they were discussing goshiki and not to long ago on one of the threads here the same young man posted a picture of their Goshiki spawn, mine were identical in color at the same stage and he mentioned that the black on their nose was important, now does this Identify a Goshiki from young stage we will find out together. Having said that will begin with the parents of these fry for now and I catch some of the fry this afternoon and take pictures to show you what am looking at, remember this is for educational purposes only. One more Item that I think is worth mentioning, I had been told that Goshiki do not breed true, so I crossed my Female Goshiki to one of my Male Kohaku's.GoshikiJul14b.jpgKohaku8Jan8.jpgGoshikiFryjul1b.jpg, have a great day and have a happy 4th of July weekend, will post pictures of individual fry this evening.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Take pictures and show us how the fry turn out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I will add this Rick, one of my goals here is to see if I can achieve the Goshiki pattern on the father's body.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's not only Goshiki- no koi breed true.

Goshiki is an unrefined variety. Just in the past 15-20 years has the variety gained popularity so we are kind of on the threshold of refinement. Which is neat to me because there is so little we know about Goshiki development and selection for oyogoi and culling techniques. What was known from 20 years ago is being augmented with new breeders and hobbyists alike, where sharing information will help with selection.

One thing I know for sure- I have no idea about the variety! This is exciting and challenging for me.

Good luck with the project! (I believe your name is Steve- is that correct?)
    One won't know fact until they know fiction.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's one of my goals, to file some information and have go too reasearch. And that's preciselly another one of my goals, there so many changes on these fish that its almost impossible to be able to predict what a certain fish looks like and what could happend in two months. Here's a sample pic that I just took of three fry, one note is all of the toby's that have been moved to a 700 gal tank looked identical to these three, just as of this morning jul/05 was when the dark or sumi coloration is getting very clear and fixed all have to set my minnow trap in that tank so I can catch some of those.Goshikifryjul514.jpg The way I see this is going to be atleast 2 years minimum based on how the mother has changed since I got her, we will see, my first name is Sam I was that nut driving in the florida pandhandle from 2008 till 2012 from tallahassee to gulf shores alabama repairing Goodman PTACS, it almost took me out, but that would be another thread, lol.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Sam! Good stuff. The more we share, the more we learn, so keep it coming! I'm having a great learning experience with my little herd. What I've learned so far is that I don't know much about the variety! But there's always tomorrow!
    One won't know fact until they know fiction.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Sam, when you get Goshiki and Kohaku babies in the same spawn, there is a subtle difference in the Shiro. The Goshiki is "duller", I guess is the way to describe it. It's very hard to tell the difference until you've looked at them for a long time.

That's about the extent of my knowledge. LOL I know I love them and want another one. I had a Purdin baby in my mud pond. She was very special to me and I watched her like a hawk. She was the first one I'd look for every morning. Found her floating from a Heron attack. She was 15-16", the bird couldn't even get her out of the pond.

Post updates on them. I'm very interested in their progression.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hey there every one, I will tell you this from the get go; the pic tonite are not good it was storming outside and my neibors problably think I have lost it, going out in between showers to take pics with camera phone; ok having said that will start with Kntry, the shiro looks almost transparentam guessing on the goshiki and that would match with you duller info. I took some pics this evening not to good but bear with me on this one. Just moved in two months ago and am getting just where I feel comfortable and my daughter emails me from turkey, hey dad Sam just bailed out on me (Sam) Son'; and could you help me with Montana, a German sheperd that would put most homosapiens to shame, I put a trickle licking botlle on her crate and withing 5 minutes she new how to drink water, like the ones they use for hamsters, ok let's get to the good stuff, Theres a pic from this afternoon with fry as same as this morning but it did not show up till this evening, that's the one with fry on it and the other will be just one fry on the pic but you will be able to see the dark or sumi that am talking about, enjoy.Goshiki.m2.jpgGoshiki.m.jpg we will figure out the secret I promise you, just have to be patient, I will catalog the ones that are not meeting the criteria so we can all learn, have a pleasant evening.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    I would think that you wouldn't want any Sumi on them at this age. They should look like a good Kohaku, only the Shiro will not be bright. From the little I "know", if they are dark or getting Sumi at a young age, they will have too much Sumi as they grow.

Sorry about your daughter. She's a long way away!
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    some serious lightining around here right about now, ok the skin look very shinny, almost metalic, remember were learnig as we go bear with me, I will try my best to catch some of the toby's tommorow and show you guys what am developing here, its a long project. Here's a pic of the mom when I got her on 2011Goshiki1Top.jpg we will learn as time goes on.