Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the shower restacking begin...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let the shower restacking begin...

Warm enough today to finish cleaning the shower components and begin the restack. I put one tray on top of the weir pan, installed one media containment box, and added 4 cubic feet of Cermedia MP2C cubes. The reason for the media containment is to keep all the media in the direct flow of water from the tray above. When I had Bakki House media water would flow a little along the media via capillary action. So I could have that media all the way to the tray walls. With the MP2C I want direct water streams on all the media.

Tomorrow I will install the second tray with four more cubic feet of MP2C. The drop from the bottom of the top tray to the media in the lower tray will around 2". As you can see, there is plenty of room for air to circulate around insides of the trays and around the media. I will post additional pictures of the second tray and the water distribution box that will sit above it. With luck, next week I can redo the pit plumbing and feed the shower from two US3 sieves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    Nice looking setup, Michael.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I like the media containment box.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    pretty posh ;)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
    pretty posh ;)
    Nothing is too posh for our koi.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Second tray installed with 4 more cubic feet of MP2C. The legs installed in this tray are 18" tall. The extra 6" in height is to allow a spray bar or a water distribution box to be installed.
    Last edited by MCAsan; 02-28-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would love an over all picture of the pond and showers pretty please, it looks as you have them set up as a formal waterfall?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The shower trays are 2'x3'x1 each and stack in a weir pan that directs water back into the pond. The stack sits partly on the pond wall and partly on a treated wooden platform. I can raise/lower the wooden platform to change how much the shower tilts towards the pond. Once I get the full 10,000 gph flow running can tell if I can leave the weir level or do I need slight tilt towards the pond to keep the weir pan from overflowing. The shower stack sits in the middle of the pond short wall with the filter pit behind it. The shower return plus TPRs aall enter at the short wall. That helps move the water from one end of the pond to the other where the skimmer is located.

The is the same installation I had previously. The changes are: Bakki House to MP2C, 10,000gph flow rate when I get the pit replmbed, supply is from the two BDs via US3 sieves with 200micron sieves. One bead filter will be kept on the skimmer line. The bead filter output goes to two 55w UVs and on to the TPRs. Between the two US3 sieves and the bead filter there should be decent mechanical filtration. The major difference to the casual observer will be a two tray shower vs the previous 4 tray shower.

Previous 4 tray shower.
    Last edited by MCAsan; 03-01-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I received a PM asking if I had extra shower trays to sell. I drafted the following reply and sent it. But I got the error message that the other person's PM storage is full and they can not receive the message until they delete or archive some messages. You know who you are. So I had no way to send the PM reply. If anyone is interested in the trays and legs, let me know. Shipping would be the hard part. I could take them to CFKS in a couple of weeks where they could be picked up on Saturday.

My shower stack came with 5 trays and I only previously used 4. So I now have 3 trays that can go up for sale. Each tray is 2'x'3'x1 and flairs out 2" at the top. The bottoms of the tray are open expanded metal. Both the walls and expanded floor are 316 stainless steel. The legs are 1" square stainless tubing with a 1/2" stainless nut welded on one end and a 1/2" stainless bolt welded on the other end with the threads exposed. I would sell the 3 trays and two sets of legs for $750. That is about what I have in them. I don't want to sell only 1 or 2 trays.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I put the water distribution box over the top tray. On the backside of the distribution box is a 3.5" hole or hooking up the 3" pipe that will feed the shower. To get the shower started, I hooked my a sump pump and ran the hose into the box. The ~2500gph flow is only enough to put water no the front half of the shower. But that is better than nothing. With luck I can redo all the plumbing before CFKS. The last photo is from the same location as the photo higher up in this thread. Now the shower is only 2 trays high and will have the same stainless top put on it once I get the 3" supply line hooked up.