Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Plans on spawning your Koi this season

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any Plans on spawning your Koi this season

Lot's of time folks can't decide what would be the correct fish to spawn or if their combinations would produce nice Koi. Well I was thinking maybe some of you out there would like to try so the whole Idea of this thread is to help those of you that need help selecting colors that would do well and or complement each other in a spawn. Charts are available and there are lots of folks that can share information for your questions, keep in mind there's lots of work involved after the spawn so I will share some of my experiences and Ideas that some have been good and others needed improvement. All start with the water; they are seasoned tanks with sponge filters and lots of green algae growing on the tank, noticed at this moment I did not say green water just green algae growing on the tank. I keep several small pools laying around that I fill when I do water changes to start with good water place air stones in it to keep them fresh no stagnated water for the fry since this is the food I will be supplying the fry for the first two weeks till I get them on powder food. Once the spawn happens you will have 4 to 7 days depending on water temperatures before you have to start feeding. If possible you might want to keep a light on at night one of those used for reptile tanks with a small 25w bulb works fine. The goal here is to keep the fry feeding at night also. Have to back up a little during the spawn I keep just one air stone with light air just to keep it comfortable for the breeders during the spawn once the spawn takes place I increase the aeration to 2 or 3 air stones in preparation for the hatch. I think were back on track. Once the fry are about a week old you should be pumping green water into the fry tank by a method of your choice mine I remove water with a hose with a fine screen on the end so no fry a pulled out and I return green water via a 5 gal bucket so if you remove 10 gals you just add 2 5 gals I like to keep it simple, at the two week mark I add the sponge filters but keep in mind what I said at the beginning green algae on the walls, if the amount of green water you are supplying does not meet the feed requirements the green algae is there for the 24hr buffet and if your sponge filters are seasoned (green) there's tons of food there also, one important fact about cleaning sponge filters, just place pond water in a 5gal bucket or anything that holds water to fully submerge the sponge and squeeze the sponge 5 or 6 times and on the last squeeze hold the sponge and don't let it suck in any of the dirty water take it out and let it fill up with water once you return it to the fry tank. Now keep in mind this information will only apply to you if you are going to select the parent's and do a plan spawn, none of this info applies to flock spawns, I will stop this at this time since there's 2 to 4 weeks of getting ready and 2 to 4 week in this discussion already in place, feel free to add anything that has helped you in the past during this phase of the process, let's not get ahead. I did leave the fresh water for the spawning open so those of you that spawn with fresh water can add and help those out there that would like to do it in that manner, so let's get the spawning season started, I will add some pics and charts that I use if you have some feel free to add them.CROSS1.jpgGoshikifrynov2014a.jpgGoshikiFryJun2014.jpg Remember we all have different way to do this the Idea is to help those out there that are thinking about trying this, my info will be updated as we progress thru the spawning process. There's the ammonia factor involved here at the beginning but remember green algae it loves ammonia just a small water change after you remove the parent/stock and nature does its thing, ok let's go from here.
    Last edited by sschult; 03-17-2015 at 08:44 PM.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    nice thread
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society http://www.mpks.org/
    Louisville Koi club http://www.louisvillekoiclub.com/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have never seen anything more cannibalistic than a young koi, these fellas were spawned on the 4th of this month (April/2015) and here we are two weeks later and there are fry that are 1.5" already. Same parents as last year, same spawning tank and set up but there were probably around 5k fry, noticed I said (were) well that explains the 1.5" in just two weeks. Pouring rain but had to get out there and sort thru these guys and pull the larger ones, pulled 200 of them before the rain just pushed me in I guess have to finish tomorrow morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    What did you do with the Tobi's? I'm interested in finding out if your Tobi's are fugly, too!

Great thread, Sam. Thanks for the info.

No, I wasn't planning on spawning this year but they were naughty and had other ideas.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
    What did you do with the Tobi's? I'm interested in finding out if your Tobi's are fugly, too!

Great thread, Sam. Thanks for the info.

No, I wasn't planning on spawning this year but they were naughty and had other ideas.
    You know Sandy this is one of those things that unless you do it under controlled scenarios you would not be able to really gather all the information that's acquired. Last year Toby's, Yes some were white ones and gray ones but over half of them are in my keeper stash I guess that throws out the door the info concerning Toby's am just learning here so guessing it could be one of those things that gets said in a room in a certain way and as time goes by words just get turned around. A good example is the first Toby I pulled last year its turned out to be a beauty, two step Nidan awesome colors and nice shiroji and its got huge koi written al over it, here's she is enjoy.GoshikifryFeb2215a.jpgGoshikifryfeb2215b.jpg Now a picture when this Koi caught my eye.Goshikifryjul2714e.jpg Also that's why I have separate quarters for the ladies, no unplanned spawings.
    Last edited by sschult; 04-21-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well as I suspected the Toby's had their way with the herd but I got a good count from the transfer one of the Items I learned from last season was that most of the smaller ones and by that I mean the ones that were half of the size of the middle of the pack did not grow at par with the other ones so that made my first cull a little easier, Kept 940 of those the Toby's are there and culled about 2k fry that were really behind, boy last years Tosai had a feast this morning. Only one koi was lost during count and transfer not bad I would say. Have to add this the water the koi got transferred to is pea soup green water.
    Last edited by sschult; 04-21-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    Pea soup is good for fry.

Good to know about the Toby. Mine were always ugly but it was a mass spawning.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here's another Toby from last year just so you can see;Goshikifryaug0314d.jpg facing at 7 Aug/2014;Goshikifryfeb2215f.jpg last February/2015.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well the second spawn should start hatching tomorrow it took place last Thursday night/Friday morning. Got in from work about 12:30 am and turned on the light on and it was on, the Oyagoi for this spawn were my Yamabuki's with a twist, I threw in the Omosako Shiro Utsuri just to see If I could rob the metallic from the female hoping for GinSU gota keep my fingers crossed on that one we will see, here are some pics of the parents enjoy;)yamabukiogonoct1814c.jpgShiroUtsuriFeb0115a.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice info there Sam. I look forward to more pics!
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne