Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Eggs: What do they Look Like?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket

Frog Eggs: What do they Look Like?

Some folks see eggs in their pond and are confused if they are frog eggs or fish eggs. It's pretty easy to tell the difference if you know what you're looking for. First, frogs lay eggs in a clear jelly substance to protect them. Koi and goldfish eggs do not have this jelly around them and are just an individual egg.

You can see that a bull frog has laid her eggs among some watter hyacinth here:

Here you can see the slimy jelly and the eggs:

The eggs themselves are a dark brown and oftentimes have a ivory area on one side like this:

After about a week or two, you will notice the little black tadoples. There can be hundreds or even thousands of 'em! Most don't survive, as nature take it's course. The ones that do make it are guaranteed to enchant you with their song when they are mature frogs. Plus they keep mosquitos away!
    This is my opinion. It is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    ribit ribbit ribbbbbbitt

Thanks nice to know.
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    the toad eggs around here hatch in a few days!!!

toads come around first and a few weeks later the tree frogs do thier thing.
    I read that toad eggs taste bad so the frogs have built into thier system to wait so fish will learn to leave the eggs alone and lay the tasty frog eggs a few weeks after the toads.
    not sure if this is true but it makes a great story

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Both toad and frog eggs look the same. The way you tell the difference is how they are layed. Frog eggs are in blobs of jelly where toad eggs are in gel, but they are in a long string instead of a blob. The last 2 years I had toad eggs in the pond and plant box. I scooped them out of the pond and put them all in the plant box. This year heard the toad outside just one night and never heard from him again. :(

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Our frogs have been silent in the last two months two. It's very odd, and terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, with the new semi-raised pond a bunch have ended up in the skimmer and drowned. And we had a bunch in the pool skimmer, too. I'm afraid I've killed them all!! We can hear the cicadas no-stop though! The old pond was much more amenable to them getting out since it was at ground level and had no skimmer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We have no shortage of frogs and toads here. Ever since I started the pond the population has exploded. Bullfrogs, tree frogs, toads, and frogs I've never seen before. Over the summer my kids built "toad houses" out of clay pots. The bull frogs I have seen are kind of small compared to the ones in NJ. These are just large with the big eyes, the ones in NJ where football sized and kind of scary.
    Trust, but verify!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by koikeepr View Post
    Our frogs have been silent in the last two months two. It's very odd, and terribly disappointing. Unfortunately, with the new semi-raised pond a bunch have ended up in the skimmer and drowned. And we had a bunch in the pool skimmer, too. I'm afraid I've killed them all!! We can hear the cicadas no-stop though! The old pond was much more amenable to them getting out since it was at ground level and had no skimmer.
    Could you put in a climb out area? a frog ramp lol,
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    LOL! Some jump on the floating plant ring, but I don't have a frog ramp! That's a business idea right there! LOL!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by koikeepr View Post
    LOL! Some jump on the floating plant ring, but I don't have a frog ramp! That's a business idea right there! LOL!
    Laughing, I always used a nice piece of wood for them to climb out in my other ponds. This one has three sides they would be able to get out, on the fourth will be plants they could climb up on.

But go for it, develop a frog / lizard ramp (depending on where you live)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Where I'm at here in the Northwest (Tacoma), we have some suburban green belts. Here we seem to have a shortage of frogs and toads. When I grow up here frogs and toads could heard and found most anywhere around here. To have frogs in my pond, I have to catch them else where and bring them in. I have been looking for a good local pond that I can collect the eggs in the spring, and hatch them out here in or near my pond. I really enjoy the sound of tree frogs and bull frogs in the spring.

Happy ponding,
    Rich