Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to share my new build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to share my new build

I started this build thread over on KP but due to various reasons I decided to quit KP and hope to make TPF my new place to hang out.

I am super excited about this build and was not going to start a fresh build thread here, for a while, but here in draught ridden CA I am finding myself in the middle of a long spell of off and on rain so my build is temporarily on hold until weather turns in our favor.

The old pond was hand dug, by myself, quite a few years ago and was an EPDM liner pond that was about 1500 gallons with a 4 ft deep center section. The only filtration was an Ultima II supplemented with UV. I did keep up with regular back flushing and partial water changes while keeping low fish count so I never had issues with water quality or clarity (IMO it was a fine small pond). As most of us I really wanted a larger pond and never did like the liner with all the folds.

After many years of no raccoon problems last year we had a group of persistent ones that figured out they could gradually lower the pond water level (I am assuming a coordinated plan to get to the fish) by tearing the liner from the top down. After several months they destroyed the liner, by making tears lower and lower, forcing my hand to build the pond I really wanted (curse and bless those 'coons). I decided to do a complete rebuild and planned a larger, professionally built, pond.

I will start by showing a couple of views of my old pond. First is a shot I took a few months before starting the new build and second is a Google earth view of the overall yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Douwe; 01-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photos of excavation and build of new pond.
    The first phase of the new build was to re-home my only two surviving fish, tear out the old pond, and excavate for the new pond and filtration "pit"

First photo shows my two fish in a 300 gallon stock tank and back yard after old pond was torn out. The area of the old pond, in the center, that looks like concrete is actually bedrock that exists mostly in the area that is smack dab in the middle of where I dug my original pond (just my luck). We ended up hand digging out about 10 8.8 cubic yard dumpsters worth of dirt and rock to excavate for the filter pit and new pond.
    Last edited by Douwe; 01-16-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Moving on: Here are a couple of shots showing close to final excavation of the new pond and filter pit. Note the difficult to dig clay soil mixed with lots of bedrock. Many 100lb to 200lb mini boulders were dug/jackhammered from this excavation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    IT's always exciting to see a new pond build.

The 100 gallon tank is exposed to temp changes. Is this a concern at all?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After the never ending dig our builder, Norm Walsh, came over and worked his magic on putting in the plumbing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ochiba View Post
    IT's always exciting to see a new pond build.

The 100 gallon tank is exposed to temp changes. Is this a concern at all?
    It is actually a 300 gallon tank and the temperature changes, around here, are pretty mild.

We live in the hills of Redwood City, CA and the city motto is: "Climate Best By Government Test" LOL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After the plumbing comes the rebar:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After rebar the gunite is shot:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After gunite is shot the view from our family room window is this:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The gunite is now curing (was shot about 28 days ago) and next up will be the equipment install, polyurea shoot, outside rock veneer, coping, and list goes on.............