Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Time to share my new build

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    I guess you are thinking babies? What kind of problems would a population of these create for my Koi pond?
    We bought a couple of bullfrog tadpoles 18 months ago and were lucky enough to get a male and a female. They did a great job keeping the cricket population down around our pool. The female got sucked into the skimmer, but I noticed her in the primer pot before she expired. They hibernated in the fall and I hadn't seen them this year until I found the male dead in my BD primer pot. <snif> Wife wants to get one or more replacements. If they do spawn, I think my hungry horde will make quick work of the eggs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never mind. I see Tom posted a photo of his setup on KP. I was hoping he had a solution that was gravity based only but now I see he has additional pumps to accommodate the function.

I was having trouble understanding, too, and even after looking at Tom's pics I can't figure it out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
    I was having trouble understanding, too, and even after looking at Tom's pics I can't figure it out.
    Basically what I see happening, in Tom's setup, is that the top of the 55 gallon barrel is a bit higher than the pond level. I believe he has his RDF waste tray flow into the side of the barrel using a sealed connection so if the pump stops the water fills up the RDF and rises to pond level in the RDF, and the barrel, and stays that way until the pond pump comes back on.

It looks like that when the pond pump is running Tom uses a second pump (a sump pump) to empty the barrel and to keep the water level in the barrel pretty low so the cleaning cycle water from the RDF just overflows into the barrel and when the water in the barrel gets too high he uses the "sump pump" to keep the water level in the barrel low so that RDF cleaning cycle water will overflow into the barrel.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further clarification because it is a workable solution but it needs some extra complexity to set it up and keep it going. I think Tom's setup requires almost daily monitoring of water level in the barrel (depending on RDF cleaning cycle frequency) and he manually drains the barrel when needed. I believe the setup can also be automated using water level sensors in line with a switch connected to the "sump pump" he has in the barrel.

The key thing is that the RDF must have a water tight connection from the RDF waste tray outlet to a fitting that comes out the side of a barrel (55 gallon drum).
    Last edited by Douwe; 02-27-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We bought a couple of bullfrog tadpoles 18 months ago and were lucky enough to get a male and a female. They did a great job keeping the cricket population down around our pool. The female got sucked into the skimmer, but I noticed her in the primer pot before she expired. They hibernated in the fall and I hadn't seen them this year until I found the male dead in my BD primer pot. <snif> Wife wants to get one or more replacements. If they do spawn, I think my hungry horde will make quick work of the eggs.
    There is a somewhat small "natural" pond in the yard two houses away from ours. I suspect our little guy came from that pond. Unfortunately our guy kept getting stuck in the skimmer and I would fetch him and release him into the pond every morning. Unfortunately I found our little frog just floating around in the pond current the other day and although he looked alive it turned out he expired. I really like the chorus they make at night and I hear the group, two houses away, quite regularly.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is a somewhat small "natural" pond in the yard two houses away from ours. I suspect our little guy came from that pond. Unfortunately our guy kept getting stuck in the skimmer and I would fetch him and release him into the pond every morning. Unfortunately I found our little frog just floating around in the pond current the other day and although he looked alive it turned out he expired. I really like the chorus they make at night and I hear the group, two houses away, quite regularly.
    We love the chorus, too. We had expected a loud, obnoxious croaking, but found out that they have a very low, comforting sound. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to devise a way to keep them safe from my filtration system.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Basically what I see happening, in Tom's setup, is that the top of the 55 gallon barrel is a bit higher than the pond level. I believe he has his RDF waste tray flow into the side of the barrel using a sealed connection so if the pump stops the water fills up the RDF and rises to pond level in the RDF, and the barrel, and stays that way until the pond pump comes back on.

It looks like that when the pond pump is running Tom uses a second pump (a sump pump) to empty the barrel and to keep the water level in the barrel pretty low so the cleaning cycle water from the RDF just overflows into the barrel and when the water in the barrel gets too high he uses the "sump pump" to keep the water level in the barrel low so that RDF cleaning cycle water will overflow into the barrel.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further clarification because it is a workable solution but it needs some extra complexity to set it up and keep it going. I think Tom's setup requires almost daily monitoring of water level in the barrel (depending on RDF cleaning cycle frequency) and he manually drains the barrel when needed. I believe the setup can also be automated using water level sensors in line with a switch connected to the "sump pump" he has in the barrel.

The key thing is that the RDF must have a water tight connection from the RDF waste tray outlet to a fitting that comes out the side of a barrel (55 gallon drum).
    Okay, I get it now. Thanks! As long as the sump pump and the circulation pump lose power at the same time, this would work.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Okay, I get it now. Thanks! As long as the sump pump and the circulation pump lose power at the same time, this would work.
    Yup, The way I see it the sump pump would be set on a manual switch or, as you point out, have it plugged into the same circuit as the circulation pump so they both lose power at the same time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    hi guys, sorry I have not been on here lately.
    my barrel sits 2" above the water level, 4" pipe from waste tray goes to the side of the barrel with a skimmer basket to catch large particles, another 4" from RDF goes to bottom of the waster barrel with a knife valve to do water change. two pumps inside the barrel can bet set on timer or manual on if necessary and one pump in the filter pit.

1st. my pond was a redo so I did not have enough large pipes from pond to RDF so I had to set my waste tray and whole RDF lower then normal to get more flow.

2nd two pumps inside the waste barrel is just to feed the grass or plants due to the drought in Socal

3rd the adjustable stand pipe inside the barrel is an overflow to another pump with auto flow that pumps to sewer system. the stand pipe site higher then pond water level when I go on vacation so if the electrical turns off then I will only lose 55 gallons of water for a 12,000 gallon pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vipertom1970; 03-07-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A while back I was asked to share a video of my folding deck that covers my filter pit.
    The video is a sped up time lapse and it actually takes about 4 to 5 minutes to open.
    I tend to over design so I chose very heavy duty actuators that, because of their low voltage and load rating, take a long time to extend the full 24".
    I really don't access my pit very often since my filtration is automated so the slow actuation time does not really bother me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part II Landscaping around pond

Build update. Well it has been almost a year and a half since I put water in the new pond and I have been shopping for just the right landscaper to do the yard and put in the drainage system I had planned. Terry and crew started 3 days ago and I am very pleased with the progress. The RDF drainage now goes down slope into a catch basin. The outflow pipe into the basin has a mesh sock covering it to catch the debris coming out of the RDF (the socks are cheap and disposable so when they fill up I pull them off and use the stuff inside as fertilizer and replace with new sock). The catch basin feeds 20' of buried french drain so all my waste water will be used on my property for my plants and trees. Each end of the drain pipe turns up to a pop up overflow cap in case of large water exchange or other large drainage event. The rest of the yard will get walkways, a patio, some rock wall features, etc. Oh, and we will be getting a 10' x 10' Riga greenhouse and it will go where the walk behind dozer is in the pics.drain_1-1.jpgdrain_2-1.jpgdrain_3-1.jpgdrain_4-1.jpgdrain_5-1.jpg