Thread: Potting v non-potting plants in water gardens

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Potting v non-potting plants in water gardens

Just curious what you guys do with lilies and iris plants. Do you leave them in pots or do you let them grow freely in your ponds? I have always potted but I recently visited a new vendor who is a huge proponent of anchoring the roots of lilies under rocks and letting nature do its thing. Same with iris. He didn't suggest leaving the plants in pots and was adamant that simply anchoring these roots under rocks would be sufficient for them to come back year after year. So, I'm experimenting. I live it CT so winterizing is necessary. Love to know your thoughts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I don't know about Iris but Lilies and Lotus will take over your pond if you don't keep them contained.

I doubt that lilies will live through your winters so if they're not in pots, how are you going to get them out of the pond?
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The strongest lily will overtake the weaker, usually more expensive lilies. And repotting time is them a nightmare. If you don't mind ending up with one type of lily, it is ok. But if you only keep one variety in a pond, then you can try it. And lotus will overtake all.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    I have a bunch of lilies, one year I took a equal size lily tuber, same plant, potted one, dropped one to the bottom of the pond tied to a rock. The one tied to the rock two years later, tiny leaves, minimal flowers. The potted one has been divided since, blooms constantly.

I put mine in walmart oil pans with kitty litter and some osmocote. Sink them to a depth, around 2 feet, where they will not freeze in the winter, they do fine.

I turned my lotus loose in a 300 gallon pond, they own that pond.
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lilies need fertilizer if you like blooms. Once they use it all up, you will know. No more blooms.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My lilies never bloom and I guess thats cause I dont use a fertilizer. I'm too scared of nitrates affecting the fish. None of the lilies are potted.. they started potted but since I remade the pond all the lily roots are under gravel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    I use some in every pot, around 1/4 cup, my nitrates always read great.
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    i used normal water daily 2 time and they are fully fresh water. and include some grass with fish.