Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Have I Done to My Fish????!! Sick Fish.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Have I Done to My Fish????!! Sick Fish.

I did a ten percent water change today, and now my fish aren't eating, and are acting kind of stunned or stoned. They are hanging out under the waterfall, which is not at all typical. I check the ammonia, nitrate, PH and phosphates, and everything looks perfect. I added dechlorinator too when I did the water change. 1100 gallon pond. 4 koi. What could possibly have gone wrong??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Really tough to help you without knowing all the nitty gritty details.
    We need to know a lot more about your pond especially all the dimensions and type of filtration.
    I have seen this type of problem several times in ponds that have plants and rocks where the water change process stirs up bad things that were settled and trapped under the rocks.
    Please post a pic or two of your setup.
    Last edited by Douwe; 08-30-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a roughly 7 x 14 1100-1200 gallon pond, with a 3 foot waterfall and a skimmer with a filter that looks like five plastic brushes and a net to catch leaves/ debris. I took out most of the rocks, and there was junk on the bottom that was stirred up. It seems like its been collecting regardless of changing out the water. I don't have a bottom drain, I do have an overflow drain at the top of my skimmer that goes into a trap.

ph= 8
    Nitrite= 0
    Ammonia= 0
    Phosphate= 0

Thank you!
    Last edited by ajn4yd; 08-30-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds to me that you really do not have an adequate setup to raise fish.
    At a minimum you need a suitable biological filter.
    The type of pond you are describing has been a bane for the KOI hobby since most end up with the experience you are having now.
    Hope you get it figured out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    When did you remove the rocks?

Do you have city water? If so, you should check the city water before doing water changes for chlorine. Sometimes, the city will dump extra chlorine without telling you so your normal amount of dechlor isn't sufficient.

Without a bottom drain, you need to get a PondOVac so you can vacuum the junk out of the bottom at least once a month. If you still have rocks in the bottom, they need to be removed, preferably with the fish not in the pond at the time and a large water change before putting them back in.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good point on the Chlorine dosing. If you do have city water, in all likely hood, your city is using Chloramine (many have/are switched/ing from Chlorine to Chloramine). Check the instructions carefully on your dechlor since most require double the dosage to treat for Chloramine.

Personally I don't think it is a Chloramine issue at only a 10% water exchange. Many folks regularly do a 10% water change, using city water, without adding any dechlor at all. The dilution at 10% is enough to not really cause any toxic effects to the fish but may stress them slightly (I have never seen a reaction that you are describing caused by doing a 10% change using city water that was not dechlor'd).
    Last edited by Douwe; 08-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was a bit confused when you said that a 10% water change stirred up junk from the bottom, but a quick calculation says that if your pond averages 7x14 and holds 1100-1200 gallons, the depth averages ~1.5 feet. Does that sound right to you? That's too shallow for a healthy koi pond.

Do you usually do 10% water changes? How often do you change water? Would you please check the pH of your tap water and recheck the pH of the pond.

You were on the right track in removing the rocks, but the crap in the rocks can be toxic, so the first step in clearing out the rocks is removing the fish.

You can handle the current emergency situation as follows:

Get a container to hold your fish while you clean out the pond. An above ground swimming pool makes a good temporary pond, and these are currently on sale.

Move the fish to the pool, remove all the rocks from the pond, clean all the crud from the bottom of the pond and put in all fresh water.

This is only a temporary fix. As others have said, you need a deeper pond, more filtration, and a means of keeping the bottom clean.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, one of the important dimensions we are missing is depth.
    Even in a deep pond a 10% change can stir things up if the end of the hose is put in all the way to the pond bottom.
    I have seen this exact scenario, many times, when I had my side business of servicing ponds (part of my tropical fish store business).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It is three feet in the deepest part. I think I have a bio filter-- bag of lava rocks at the top of the waterfall? That's what the pond installer said. They seem to be acting normally today, so whatever junk from the bottom that got in their systems seems to have worn off, or perhaps the dechlorination from the falls had an effect? There is an autofill in the skimmer, the junk came from me pulling up buckets of water to dump in the trap.

I think I will go ahead and change out all the water just to be safe, and get the PondOVac. There is definitely crap on the bottom that doesn't leave with the water change, or at least the way I am doing it. Thanks all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I do also have a problem with runoff, it seems the pond is sinking, and the rocks/liner is now lower than the perimeter in some parts. I had it professionally installed, so these problems are a bit disappointing. Any ideas on how to address the runoff issue?