Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Fish

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Fish

Now that my pond has been up and running for a while I thought I would start a thread for the fish I have and will be adding to the pond.
    Today I picked up a Budo Goromo from Tom at Champion Koi which is female and about 18" long. This lady is still in quarantine at Champion so I will be picking her up next week and hopefully be able to snap some better shots then.

Attached Images Attached Images

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I also managed to swing by Genki Koi to see what Kevin still had for sale from his latest trip to Japan. To my surprise he got a bunch of new Tosai so I picked up a small 4"-5" Ochiba which I will pick up in a couple of weeks when it gets out of quarantine. Kevin had some awesome Nisai Kohaku but most were sold so I will wait awhile and I already spent more than anticipated on the Budo Goromo so I will have to save my pennies for the Kohaku and Showa I hope to get someday.

ochiba1.jpgochiba2.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice way to start, you folks on the west coast got it made, like I have said before folks on the west coast have something special going on with koi dealers. I do have to ask a question do you consider a dealers qt procedure same as a qt at home, different dealers different sources?
    Last edited by sschult; 11-12-2016 at 09:16 PM.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Sam,
    I agree we are blessed with some excellent Koi dealers. I have dealt with Kevin at Genki for years and know and understand his quarantine procedure; Tom at Champion Koi uses the same procedure. The high end dealers have tens of thousands of dollars of Koi in their shops so they can not afford to introduce sick/contaminated fish into the population of their dealer tanks and they cannot afford to lose business by having word go out that they sold sick fish. There are only a few dealers I know and trust so I stick to buying from them only. There are other dealers that I do not know well and I did take considerable risk by starting my old pond with a Koi I bought out of a feeder fish tank at Petco over 7 years ago and taking in some fish I rescued from a friend who closed his pond down at the same time. Now that I am starting my new collection I will only get my fish from sources I trust. I still have the Petco fish and 1 of the rescued fish and I was lucky they have had no issues. I do have the ability to setup a quarantine at home, if I have to, but I prefer to buy only fish that have already gone through a proper quarantine procedure at the dealer. I do understand some folks prefer to isolate new introductions before introducing into the pond but IMO if the fish has already been given a clean bill of health (by a trusted source) I see no reason to subject the fish to more stress by additional isolation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I agree with you 100% , their ability and knowledge is probably 2nd to none am looking at it from the point of view from your water if there's something that causes an issue it would less difficult to work with let's say 500 gals rather than the whole pond. That's where am coming from.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sschult View Post
    I agree with you 100% , their ability and knowledge is probably 2nd to none am looking at it from the point of view from your water if there's something that causes an issue it would less difficult to work with let's say 500 gals rather than the whole pond. That's where am coming from.
    It would definitely be more efficient to treat a fish in 500 gal vs 5000 gal. The key word in your statement is"If". By going with a dealer that uses precautions to make sure they don't introduce fish into their own tanks, that could cause the demise of tens of thousands of dollars in inventory, I think the "If" gets reduced to close to zero. If one does not know or understand the quarantine procedure used by a dealer I would definitely agree they should, as a precaution, quarantine the fish themselves before putting in the pond. Quarantining fish can be a double edge sword. If you are a large enough hobbyist to where you will always have two, three, or more fish in your quarantine tank, at all times, then it is not so bad for the new introductions. If you are small, like me, and only get a new fish every few months or maybe even longer then the setup and maintaining a quarantine tank is difficult and not practical or necessary as long as you only get fish from sources that have a vested interest in providing only healthy, disease free,parasite free,stress free, well conditioned specimens. Putting in a single fish into an isolated tank can often stress the fish even more since they like company. For my situation it really does not matter where the location of the quarantine occurs as long as it is done properly.

Concerning the point of view of the water then what we are talking about is not really quarantine but acclimation. Acclimation is indeed extremely important but is easily managed over just a few hours (or even minutes) depending how close your water temperature and chemistry is to the water the fish is coming from.
    Last edited by Douwe; 11-13-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just got home from picking up my Budo Goromo from Champion Koi. While there I could not resist this red Kujaku (fish A in the pic). The picture does not do it justice (the red is spectacular) but it is nasty weather today so it will be some time before I can take better photos.

OCT2016-62.800.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Finally got a decent video of all my fish feeding in my pond as of today.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Did you see all the Goromo at Champ Koi? I'm getting C from this group. I keep going back and forth between A and C but I decided yesterday on C. I'd love to know if you saw her and remember her?

http://www.champkoi.com/koi/group/OCT2016-49
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Your koi are beautiful. I'm glad you're getting your pond stocked.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA