Thread: Pond care while on vacation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pond care while on vacation

In the next few weeks I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and wondering what to do about my 20 gallon container pond whilst I'm away? I tend to have trouble with evaporation and I'm not sure how I can help prevent this happening while I'm away? Maybe fill the pond with weed? I have 9 white cloud mountain minnows and a freshwater mussel in there. I think they'll survive without food for 2 weeks (they can eat small bugs) but I'm a little concerned about the water quality. Normally I change out some of the water every week and will top off the pond when needed (at the moment about twice a week). Will the pond be ok left alone for 2 weeks?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Keshia If possible have one of your neighbors come over every couple of days and top of with freshwater make shure you leave for him or her some declor with clear instructions on how to mix with water and I think your fish will be fine and only ask him or her to to feed only every 3 or 4 days this way you will prevent over feeding, good luck and enjoy your vacation.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sschult View Post
    Keshia If possible have one of your neighbors come over every couple of days and top of with freshwater make shure you leave for him or her some declor with clear instructions on how to mix with water and I think your fish will be fine and only ask him or her to to feed only every 3 or 4 days this way you will prevent over feeding, good luck and enjoy your vacation.
    Unfortunately this isn't really possible, of my neighbours that aren't elderly, one is a couple that is never home and the other is a couple that have in my opinion a neglected dog and I wouldn't trust them to take care of my fish :-( We're not really one of those friendly neighbourhoods, most people keep to themselves and won't even say hi when I say hi and smile at them on the street.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    Maybe cover the pond with plastic, leaving a small hole for air exchange, so it won't evaporate so fast.

Or if possible, put a hose in the pond and let it drip just a few drops, not a stream. If it overflows slightly, it won't hurt anything. If you have city water, just a few drops at a time won't hurt the chlorine level.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
    Maybe cover the pond with plastic, leaving a small hole for air exchange, so it won't evaporate so fast.

Or if possible, put a hose in the pond and let it drip just a few drops, not a stream. If it overflows slightly, it won't hurt anything. If you have city water, just a few drops at a time won't hurt the chlorine level.
    Sandy if am not mistaken Melbourne Au is in full swing summer at present I think covering it yes it will slow down evaporation but I think the green house effect will slowly cook the entire 20 gal system by bringing up the temperature. On the second paragraph she will be on vacation not shure how she could add declor to a trikeling hose, just thinking Lol.
    Last edited by sschult; 01-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Put a crate over it like a milk crate, (plastic with a lot of holes) cover the upper part of the crate with shade cloth/towel/rug to decrease the amount of sun hitting the pond. Anchor it well so it won't blow off while you are gone.

Since you are not leaving right away do it now and test how quickly the water drops when it is shaded. Then do like Sandy says set your hose on a real slow drip trickle to keep some water going into the pond
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't think the cover solution is a good idea in the Australian summer too