Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can an ESBB 10500 be modified for reduced flow?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can an ESBB 10500 be modified for reduced flow?

I have an ESBB 10500 pump on my skimmer, but only need about half that much flow. I installed a ball valve, but found that restricting the flow didn't reduce the wattage consumed. I need about 5000 GPH at 7.5 feet TDH. I like the 3 plumbing and priming pots on my ESBBs so I wondered if it is practical to swap the motor out with a lower RPM motor that could supply the desired GPH with a lower wattage consumption? Or do I need to buy a new smaller pump, all of which use 2" or smaller plumbing which I assume is less efficient that the 3" would be?

What is the most energy efficient way to go? My friends are encouraging me to buy FlowFriend axial (semi-axial?) flow pumps which seem extremely efficient at this medium/low head, but at $2500 each they take almost 3 years to pay for themselves in electrical savings!

Any advice you can give me will be appreciated!

PS. I emailed Lyann at Advantage Mfg. a few days ago but haven't heard back yet...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Buy the Flow Friend. Don't you plan on having the pond longer than 3 years?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, I do plan to keep the pond longer than that, but.... Why do they gotta cost so dang much?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
    Yes, I do plan to keep the pond longer than that, but.... Why do they gotta cost so dang much?
    You get what you pay for when it comes to buying quality.
    Bottom line is that, if the additional cost pays for itself in three years, how could you not want one?
    Another nice advantage is that with the variable speed you can dial it back when you don't need so much flow (cold months when you feed less) and enjoy even more energy savings. If you have a heat wave or something, and you need more flow, you can crank it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely go with Flowfriend. I can vary the shower flow rate to match temps throughout the year. When I bypass the shower in the winter, I cut the flow way down...just enough to keep pipes from freezing.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    From what I've read and been told by many, when you cut the flow down, the pump uses less electricity. I have a 10,500 gph that is cut way back but I have not tested the power consumption. I guess I should.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
    From what I've read and been told by many, when you cut the flow down, the pump uses less electricity. I have a 10,500 gph that is cut way back but I have not tested the power consumption. I guess I should.
    Yeah, this fiction that was being promoted on Koiphen at the time convinced me that I could buy the bigger pump and then use a ball valve and reduce electrical consumption. It turns out to be false. Be careful who you believe.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
    Yeah, this fiction that was being promoted on Koiphen at the time convinced me that I could buy the bigger pump and then use a ball valve and reduce electrical consumption. It turns out to be false. Be careful who you believe.
    Actually it should not be entirely false but it truly depends on the pump/motor combination. Here is a decent explanation of how it works:

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/csvtechinfo_21.html

Note the power reduction is usually small so seeing or measuring a difference is not always easy.
    Last edited by Douwe; 03-02-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    I was told this by Steve Jonelli and others. Steve is really knowledgeable.

I have a meter. I'll check it out tomorrow.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi Sandy, the FF pump has a dial up or down to run high or low RPM or flow and it's not the same as pinching back the pump like putting a valve on an ESBB10500.