Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Muck/sediment without draining - help

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Removing Muck/sediment without draining - help

Good afternoon all,

New member here.
    I bought a house last year that has a beautiful spring fed pond on it, approx. 4000 gallons. As a brit who was born and raised on carp fishing, I'd like to eventually stock with carp (not to fish ). My problem is, the previous owner didn't take much/any care of pond, as you can see from the pics below.
    I've raked and removed all of the weeds/alge using a leaf rake and it's now clearer than shown in the pictures below. I am now at the point where I want to clean the YEARS of sediment/muck/silt from the bottom. It's currently approx. 2ft deep at deepest, due to the buildup, but the previous owner told me it was up to 5 ft deep at some point. I can get the handle of the leaf rake some way down into the muck when I push it in.
    I'm trying to look for a solution where I can remove the muck without having to drain and without the expense of dredging. I've considered putting the waders on and shoveling it out, which I really don't want to do! I've seen pond vacs that look interesting, but I'm not sure if they could handle this job of removing a foot of muck/sludge/silt/leaves.

- Would the pond vac like the Oase Pondovac work? I'm not in a rush and can spend a few weekends or longer doing it
    - Any other solutions that will keep me out of my waders and away from my shovel?

thanks!

pond1.jpgpond2.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice pond, nice setting. The pond looks like it could be easily accessed by critters (I.E. raccoons). If critters are going to be a problem you may want to take that into consideration.

What is your ultimate goal? Keeping nice Koi? Keeping some cheap goldfish?

You should start with testing you water parameters (PH, KH, etc.) and also try to figure out the GPH of the spring inflow and if it is consistent.
    Last edited by Douwe; 03-17-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Most definitely easy access for critters, do you mention this because they will eat the fish?
    I just wanted to keep grass carp/common carp and some perch/pike, not necessarily Koi. Thanks for the info. I'll start testing GPH, Ph, etc. It's definitely consistent and has a few flow ins and outs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You are very fortunate to have what is known as a "flow through" system. Many KOI hobbyists would donate their first born or a body part to have one .

Yes one bane of most pond fish keeping hobbyists is critters, especially raccoons and large birds, taking fish from the pond and eating them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was considering some sort of clear netting or a knee high fence around the perimeter.....but 1st things 1st how to clear out the muck :)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does the pond have some sort of liner (rubber, plastic, concrete)? It looks like it has a lot of larger rocks in it.
    I understand you don't want to drain it but draining it would, IMO, make the job easier.
    The first thing you will probably want to do is remove the rocks and then pump out or scoop out the muck (a lot of much gets stuck under the rocks and is hard to get to without removing the rocks).

The worry some part, for me, is you say 2 feet deep and the previous owner says 5 feet deep so is it possible there is 3 ft of "crap" in the pond? If so, you have a ton of work to do.

Netting will work and a fence can be made to work. If you have any KOI clubs in your area see if you can get a hold of someone to find out what critters live in your area and how they protect their fish from them.
    Last edited by Douwe; 03-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No liner that I know of. Pretty sure it's an earth pond. No big rocks in the pond, just a lot around the edges.
    I'm starting to think draining it may be the only way as I'm guessing there's a few feet of crap in there....sigh.
    do you think a pond vac would be of any use or an option? Or would that just take forever and a day?
    Really appreciate your help and advice Douwe!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If it is an earth pond I really don't know how you would decide if you are done cleaning

About the best you can do, I guess, is start removing gunk until you are satisfied with what you have. Tough to say what a pond vac would do for you and I guess it would depend on what "pond vac" you use (I guess some are bigger and better than others).

This situation will be trial and error. You can try a sump pump but be prepared for constant clogging and cleaning.
    If it were me I would drain it best I could and start in with the pitchforks and shovels.
    Last edited by Douwe; 03-17-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks again Douwe. I'll wait until it warms up a bit before I jump in :)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKoiKev View Post
    No liner that I know of. Pretty sure it's an earth pond. No big rocks in the pond, just a lot around the edges.
    I'm starting to think draining it may be the only way as I'm guessing there's a few feet of crap in there....sigh.
    do you think a pond vac would be of any use or an option? Or would that just take forever and a day?
    Really appreciate your help and advice Douwe!
    I agree, draining it may be the best option. Too big for a pond vac IMO. Even commercial mud ponds for fish are drained on a regular schedule.