Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Muck/sediment without draining - help

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think draining it and hiring someone with a skid steer loader (preferably with tracks) to clean it out would be your best option.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I don't think you would ever get finished with a vac. The best, easiest and probably most expensive, unfortunately, is to drain it, let it dry out and scrape the muck out.

Breeders with mud ponds do this every year.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I don't think you would ever get finished with a vac. The best, easiest and probably most expensive, unfortunately, is to drain it, let it dry out and scrape the muck out.

Breeders with mud ponds do this every year.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you all. appreciate the advice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question MUCK and such ---- suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    . . . the best you can do, I guess, is start removing gunk until you are satisfied with what you have . . . would depend on what "pond vac" you use . . . situation will be trial and error. You can try a sump pump but be prepared for constant clogging and cleaning . . .
    Our 1,000-gallon concrete pond is about 1/4 the size of BigKoiKev's. Like some folks, our pond acquisition was part of our house purchase in 2012. We live in a desert zone on Hawaii Island. Our pond was originally intended to be used as a Koi pond: many folks in Hawaii do love their Koi: not us. We want to maintain ours ONLY as a water feature, keeping the water as clear and odor-free as possible --- since it's located next to our main home entry. I am currently mucking it out with my large wet/dry shop vac (for the second time in 5 years) and removing all of the larger rocks and smaller stones (definitely a newbie mistake) which I added to it in 2014. I use a submersible sump pump to drain most of the pond down to the FUN mucking stage. After the next refill, we'd like to keep our pond as pristine as possible.

We have mature sugar palm trees next to our pond, so palm seeds, bird droppings and other unwanted biomass does occasionally end up in our pond. I add chlorine tablets regularly to assist our UV system to keep algae growth in check. We're also considering the use of Pond Shield Epoxy before we refill. Has anyone tried a similar paint product?

Any additional suggestions to help us meet our goals?

Mahalo!
    GUNITE WATER FEATURE, 1,000 GALLONS (NO PLANTS OR ANIMALS)
    CIRCULATION: PENTAIR WHISPERFLO EXTERNAL 1/2HP PUMP + 4 VORTEX WATER
    FLOW ACCELERATORS
    + TETRA IN-POND SKIMMER
    FILTRATION: AQUA ULTRAVIOLET ULTIMA II EXTERNAL FILTER + AQUA ULTRAVIOLET
    CLASSIC 25 WATT UV
    AERATION: 1 WATERFALL + 1 MAZZEI INJECTOR

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Septic system pump truck may be able to help. Only thing that may work without draining and hand shoveling it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrogue View Post
    Our 1,000-gallon concrete pond is about 1/4 the size of BigKoiKev's.............. We're also considering the use of Pond Shield Epoxy before we refill. Has anyone tried a similar paint product?

Any additional suggestions to help us meet our goals?

Mahalo!
    IMO your filtration is probably not the best choice for the water feature you are going for. The Ultima is really a combination biological/mechanical filter but you really don't need a bio filter if you are adding chlorine and don't want to sustain living things. With the situation you describe I would think you would want to be back flushing your Ultima a few times a week. You are running a UV light but are also adding Chlorine tablets which seems counterproductive (UV light breaks chlorine down so it dissipates faster).

Since you did not mention bottom drain(s) I assume you don't have. Without bottom drain(s) you probably will always have to manually remove the debris that settles to the bottom.

Most people that I have talked to, that have used Pond Epoxy Paint, regrets using it since they all seem to have experienced failure (peeling off).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I don't know anyone who has used the epoxy paint and not had issues within 2-3 years, if that long.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA