Thread: Rapid spring heating causing fish emergency! help!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Rapid spring heating causing fish emergency! help!

Hi folks, I need some help!

I have a 3000 gallon pond that I am going into the 3rd year of caring for. It was on our property when we moved here, I have kept aquariums in the past but we've really been learning as we go with this one. It seemed well established although there was a real green water issue that we cleared up with the addition of a UV light to the bio filter already in place (model #, I just don't know). We have also added lots more plants as there was a heron issue for the previous owners, but with more hiding places we haven't lost any to the heron since. The pond is well aerated and not intensely stocked. We have 4 largish koi (12-24"), about 10 full sized adult goldfish and about a dozen baby koi (under 6") born here, and unknown number of tiny baby goldfish also born here. We live in Canada, in a moderate BC climate. In previous years we have never shut off the filter as the winter temps rarely drop below freezing for very long. This winter was exceptional and record breaking, it stayed frozen for months. We kept the air-pump on, and followed the regular food cut off procedure but had to shut down the filter. Sadly, the filter seems to have split over winter anyways so I'm online looking to order a replacement now. We kept one spot of pond surface open but the rest completely froze and had a good several inches of ice. Now, almost a month later than normal, spring is hitting suddenly and fast. This past week was the first week with no ice on the pond surface, the next week or two will likely be the first week in the consistently 50F zone. Needless to say this is a very late and fast onset of spring.

Being that this is the first week I've been able to access the water, I have started vacuuming the debris down there, of which there was a lot. Troublingly every morning when I've gone out to inspect there have been dead baby goldfish. A few more each day for a week, we've lost about 15 in total, all the littlest size. Some have small spots of white fuzz. Yikes! We've haven't lost any fish before.

What should my course of action be here? The big fish all look and act normal as best I can tell. I can see a few other little ones with white fuzz spots that look weak and are swimming just under the surface. Do you think this is all from the rapid warming overly stressing them? I really want to get the (new) filter back on and keep vigorously vaccuming because I'm worried about the water quality. However will that just shock their systems further? Should I be removing any noticeably damaged fish?

I'm totally panicked, thank you for any practical advice!

June

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I see two issues... the fish are probably stress from the cold winter and no adequate biological filtration.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is the bottom of the pond covered in rocks or bare liner? It is possible that while vacuuming the bottom debris you are releasing all the nasty things that have built up which are harming the fish. Best course of action may be to remove the fish so that you can drain and clean the pond while they are in a safe place.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    bare liner. Do the sick fish pose a risk to those that appear healthy?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post

yes it is a possibility.
    Last edited by koidude; 03-17-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    What ever is making them sick is already in the pond.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Baby fish aren't as hardy as adult fish, just like human infants.

Please post pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Have you done a water change?
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA