Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Mink, dead or alive, preferably dead!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wanted: Mink, dead or alive, preferably dead!

I will try to make this short.

Like many of us, my introduction to ponds started with a 100 gallon preform that over 1 summer transformed into a preform with a bog, then a preform with a bog and waterfall. I was amazed that over the winter I did not lose a single fish! Come spring all 17 were accounted for and doing great.

This lasted 1 summer before I put in a 6300 gallon "real" pond and (so far) I have been reasonably content with this.
    2 weeks ago we had a warm spell so I fired up the waterfall & bog pump and did a quick head count. Yep, 30 something accounted for and a few still in hiding. Fantastic!

Then it gets cold and we get 4" of snow. No problem, pond is running right along as it should.

2 weeks later it all melts and warms up again, but where are my fish? Can't all be hiding... hell, even when it was -18 I was standing on 8" of ice taking pics of them. So I get out the GoPro and go looking. NOTHING, not a single fish, carcass, nothing...

5 hours of reviewing security camera footage and low and behold, a mink. I've liven in this house on/off since 1977 and have never seen a mink.
    We have everything else you can think of, but I have never seen a mink. that is until the night of 3-9-17 at 2:15am. He then proceeded to completely empty my pond and all inhabitants in the course of 3 hours. by 5am the cat knew something was up and he then staked out the pond for the next 3 days.

So first off if anyone has an abundance of fish and would like a good home from them, please let me know.
    Secondly, anyone who has dealt with mink in the past, any tips?
    I built my pond to be as predator proof as one reasonably can. it's 4' deep with 30" sheer walls around 90% of it.

Thanks in advance.

gp1.jpgp1.jpgp2.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I'm sorry about your fish. Mink can really do a job on fish.

Look on Craigslist for fish.

Where are you located? I some people who life in IL. They may have some to rehome.
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm about 30 miles west of Chicago but not afraid to take a road trip for some fish. Thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mink are terrible! From what I've read, the only solution is trapping. Some people have had mixed success with nets, but I think that would only work on a pond with a very straight raised edge. I feel bad for you. I'm glad I only have to contend with herons and raccoons here in SoCal. They are nothing compared to mink.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My friends pond was emptied by an otter. For him, the only solution was time. It was terribly sad, the otter left the heads in a pile on the bottom. It was quick too. So I have no easy answer for you.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dang too bad I'm in PA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have 8 rosies left. The irony is that I threw a dozen or so of them in there as a fuse so to speak. Something for the passing by bullfrogs to snack on rather than my nice fish. Figures.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm in Davenport, IA, and have a couple fish that could use a good home if you're interested. Not GREAT looking Koi, I bought them a year ago to see how they would do.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For those keeping score, I am almost completely re stocked thanks to 2 fantastic fellow koi ponders via Craigslist. So nice to have my pond back.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Excellent!