Thread: Hello !!! Looking for help !!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Hello !!! Looking for help !!

I've had a 3000 gal koi pond for 9 years. I had 6 or so 12-15 butterfly koi who immediately fed upon
    On purchase 7-8 years ago and were so wonderful. I've never taken a vacation due to taking care of my elderly parent for the years. Well, you guessed it. We took a vacation for 3 days. The caretaker of our animals filled the pond evaperation (about 3-4 inches) with hose and killed all my babies. Called the city , they added a algecide to city water supply due to a lot of rain
    I was pretty much devistated and mourned for the rest of the year. Now I've cleaned out pond,added lilllys and new oxy plants. I baught 6 new baby butterfly's in 2016 , but the pond it too big and they have no teacher to show them how to feed etc. They still hide constantly. It's been 2years and still will not feed with pellets. I'm out there every night trying to get them to know me,fam, etc. still nothing.
    I want them to feed like the first set did off the bat, but trust isn't there. ( game camera sales no birds lurking either) I m at a loss, can't spend 500$ for some teachers 12 inches that gave been hand fed. ( already tried to find someone looking to rehome in Austin)! Can you give me any experience I can use to get these fish to be friendly?
    Thank you
    Leslie

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yikes, sorry for the loss of your fish but I hope you are not blaming the "caretaker".
    I have never heard of any city adding anything to water that was toxic to fish aside from chlorine or chloramine.
    People regularly add "algaecides" to their ponds with no adverse effects. Can you call the city and share with us what exactly they added and the dose?
    Four inches in a 3000 gallon pond should not really be enough to be toxic, with untreated city water, unless the pond is very shallow.

As far as friendly fish and feeding goes this is a mystery.
    Have you tried different food types and maybe not feeding so often?
    Last edited by Douwe; 04-16-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You can try a few peas.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Super Moderator
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Fish don't need a teacher to learn to eat or come when you walk up. Stop feeding for a week. What food are you feeding?

When you start feeding, only put a few pellets in and stand very still. When they start coming up, even if they just dart to the surface and go back down, add a few more pellets. The more you can do this, the faster they'll associate you with food.

What is the pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temp of the pond?
    The will of God will not take you where the GRACE of God cannot keep you.

Sandy, K.O.I., KHA