Thread: Comments on pond water treatment

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Comments on pond water treatment

Hello,

I have 3 ducks that I plan to make a pond with water treatment system attached. I design water treatment systems for a living so i'm pretty knowledgeable on the subject but I could use some advise on the system I have designed.

The pond will only be 125 gallons. I've read that you should turn over the water in the pond at least every hour. I doubled this value to get my pump flow rate at 250 GPH. Now I'm not set on using a pump sized exactly this size. I'm putting provisions in to be able to circulate back to the pond to bleed some flow if needed. I'd like recommendations on a pump for this duty. I'm not set on a submersible pump but they do seem cheaper. I think my biggest requirement is that it handles solids and it's efficient. Cost is also a concern.

My treatment system consist of: Clarifier/ settler, Static filter and MBBR. I'm planning on fitting all of this into a single 55 gallon drum split in half. I'm pretty confident in my clarifier sizing because I do that at work all the time but I don't know how you should size the MBBR or the static filter. I'm planing on using K1 media for both the static and MBBR. Anyone have any recomendations on an air pump.
    DUCKPONICS.jpg

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well there are sponsor's (vendors) on this forum they are very easy to get in touch with and since is just the air pump you are looking for am pretty shure you will be satisfied with one of there options and welcome to the Pond Forum.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    IMO 125 gallons is NOT big enough to be considered a small pond.

So lets look at this as a large aquarium water treatment system.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by birdrider View Post

Let me know what you think.
    I doubt that you will achieve clear water with ducks and this filtration system.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have raised many ducks and 3 will totally pollute this system in short order. Safer and easier to use a shallow kiddie pool and dump and refill every few days. Use a solids handling pump to drain and water your garden or landscaping. Your ducks deserve clean water and not what you are planning.

For those who have never raised ducks take the waste a large koi produces and multiply it by 1000 and you have the equivalent.
    Last edited by BWCREEK; 08-14-2017 at 10:33 AM.