Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No signs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No signs

I've had 5 fish die. 4 in the last 2 days and one about five weeks ago. There are no signs of sores etc. on the fish. I found them in the pump area. I have a 2500 gal pond treated weekly with pond perfect. the water is clear with no algae. Haven't had any problems for years. Added three new fish about a month ago. Other than that I changed the waterfall path, which decreased the splash. I changed it back in case this is an aeration issue. I haven't tested the water yet. Any suggestions on what could have cause the fish to die?

Thanks, Dale

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Welcome to the forum did you quarantine the new fish before you introduced them to your system.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Could be many things. The one that died before the new fish were added did not die because of the new fish, obviously, but that does not mean the others were not affected by the new fish (new introductions can cause disruption with aggression or disease).

Changing water flow and path can sometimes release toxins that have accumulated in dead spots.

Air born toxins (I.E. neighbors spraying) can cause problems.

These are just a few of the many possibilities.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No I did not quarantine the new fish. Any advise on how to proceed to help the fish that are left?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone, anyone???

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A difficult proposition to give advice on how to proceed without doing an on site evaluation. There are so many variables that it will take a lot of back and forth dialog and investigation to get enough understanding as to what the best approach would be for you. As a start you may try posting a few pictures of your pond and setup (also include details of filtration, water chemistry measurements, water change schedule, etc.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    A difficult proposition to give advice on how to proceed without doing an on site evaluation. There are so many variables that it will take a lot of back and forth dialog and investigation to get enough understanding as to what the best approach would be for you. As a start you may try posting a few pictures of your pond and setup (also include details of filtration, water chemistry measurements, water change schedule, etc.)
    I will take some pic. The pond is 15X11 2' deep with an Aquascape waterfall/filter system. I have a water test kit coming tomorrow.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DPRose View Post
    I will take some pic. The pond is 15X11 2' deep with an Aquascape waterfall/filter system. I have a water test kit coming tomorrow.
    The first thing you need to be aware of is that, in general, there are two types of "fish" ponds. Serious Koi fish ponders, like myself, usually will give advice based purely from a Koi fish keeping perspective. The other types of ponders, that have fish in their ponds, usually have garden ponds (often called "Aquascape" type ponds) and most Koi fish ponders will agree that "Aquascape" type ponds are not really suitable for keeping fish.

If you want to seek advice from a Koi fish ponder on how to proceed, with a pond to keep fish alive, the first bit of advice usually comes across as harsh but the reality is that Aquascape type ponds are not suitable for keeping fish. If you want to learn how to build a proper pond, suitable for fish keeping, I will be glad to help but if you are trying to keep fish healthy in an Aquascape type pond I fear there is little advice I will be able to give for that endeavor.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    The first thing you need to be aware of is that, in general, there are two types of "fish" ponds. Serious Koi fish ponders, like myself, usually will give advice based purely from a Koi fish keeping perspective. The other types of ponders, that have fish in their ponds, usually have garden ponds (often called "Aquascape" type ponds) and most Koi fish ponders will agree that "Aquascape" type ponds are not really suitable for keeping fish.

If you want to seek advice from a Koi fish ponder on how to proceed, with a pond to keep fish alive, the first bit of advice usually comes across as harsh but the reality is that Aquascape type ponds are not suitable for keeping fish. If you want to learn how to build a proper pond, suitable for fish keeping, I will be glad to help but if you are trying to keep fish healthy in an Aquascape type pond I fear there is little advice I will be able to give for that endeavor.
    I have had success keeping fish healthy in my "aquascape type pond" for years. these five losses came out of the blue. I have learned one thing though, don't go on forums if you are looking for help.
    Last edited by DPRose; 1 Week Ago at 04:58 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DPRose View Post
    I have had success keep fish healthy in my "aquascape type pond" for years. these five losses came out of the blue. I have learned one thing though, don't go on forums if you are looking for help.
    There is no harm looking for help but I, personally, can only give advice on how to be successful with ponds that I know and understand. All I am telling you is that serious Koi ponders do not advise keeping fish in Aquascape ponds and for good reason. If you go back through the archives of these pond forums you will find people, such as yourself, have started similar threads many times over the years. They had many years of "success" but all of a sudden their fish are dying. We have been through this rodeo many times and it always ends up the same way. I am sorry if the truth hurts but at least it is the truth.

You seemed to be baffled why no one is offering help and I am trying to give you understanding as to why you are not getting help. For the most part the KOI ponders have had lots of negative experiences with Aquascape ponds and water gardeners really do not have experience with keeping fish alive and healthy.
    Last edited by Douwe; 1 Week Ago at 05:12 PM.