Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from North Carolina

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello from North Carolina

Just joined and am glad to be part of this forum which I just discovered. I am a long time Koi pond keeper. When we moved 2 years ago I gave up my pond and Koi. But now I am digging a new little pond, about 500 gal. in our new smaller backyard. I plan to keep Shubunkins in it, they will be new to me. I have all the supplies so far, pond liner, filter and pump and a couple tons of my favorite rocks I have collected all my life. I will be doing the whole job alone, my husband is disabled now and all he can do is watch me work. I am healthy and strong. Will post a pic when it is finished in a few months.
    Barb

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hello and welcome!

We like build pics, so show us your progress as the pond build goes along.
    Enjoying the ponds....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, I call it a mudhole right now. Just drained a lot of Hurricane Harvey rain out of it and now it is raining again. But here is about a month worth of digging, just clay here. I am using the "dirt" to build my waterfall/filter area, under the plastic right now. The rest will go to make a large raised flower bed behind part of the pond. Also included a pic of some of my rock collection, this is about 1/3 of what I have. When we moved, I hired a couple boys to move all my rocks from the old pond, having to leave behind a lot of them unfortunately. The mudhole is about 24" deep now, may go a little more, and it will be about 5' across and 7-8' length not counting the waterfall area.

I also include a pic of my old pond, about 1800 gal. with my full grown Koi. I gave the Koi away to a local medical clinic for their 250,000 gal pond that the Chemo patients look out on. My fish have a good home.
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Welcome to the Pond Forum all second what Tim posted we like pictures once again welcome, you could start a thread in the Pond build section.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hello Barb, and welcome
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the welcomes! My mudhole keeps getting filled with rainwater. Irma rain will soon fill it again. It is hard to dig in mud. Any of you in the hurricane path, take care.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishgal View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes! My mudhole keeps getting filled with rainwater. Irma rain will soon fill it again. It is hard to dig in mud. Any of you in the hurricane path, take care.
    Thank you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sschult View Post
    Thank you.
    How did you do in Irma? Hope no bad damage. Your pond??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The koi are doing really I had my suspicion about this storm so I had stopped feeding since last Wednesday lost pwr at 7:45 last night and it was not a pleasant experience transformers blowing all over the place the whole sky would turn blue crap flying all around hitting the house and I had borded the Windows but not the sliding glass door and noticed it was bowing with the wind so I won't tell what I did from 11:30 till 2:30 am that I think was the worse around 3:30 it felt like she's moving away now just about 4am she said Am Back another he'll till around6:30 and I had to check on the koi my system are fiberglass round above ground tanks so I was a little concerned started setting up the generator flushed all my filters and started everything up felt sorry for my neighbors that thing is loud so all summed all up the koi and the dog are relaxing and am running on empty ah! I still have to take outside all the stuff I had to bring but I managed to get the storm shutters down it has been an interesting last 48 hours, how was your day? LOL.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Wow. what an ordeal! But glad to hear you and pets all did OK. I have been through many hurricanes but none this bad I live on the coast of North Carolina, and tomorrow we will get a little of Irma here, wind and rain. I have my "mud hole" which I need to do more digging in, covered with a large tarp to collect rain water so I don't have to finish digging in mud. That is hard. Take care as you clean up debris.