Thread: Insulating a Koi Pond with Plastic Balls

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Insulating a Koi Pond with Plastic Balls

Anybody heard of this?

http://nkc.org.uk/pondcovers.html

The article says he used clear balls but they look white or at least opaque in the photo. Sure would beat putting up that pita winter cover.
    Annaliese

My Fish ... My Winter Cover ... My Pond ... 6,000 gllns (salt calc), Ultima II 4000, Ultima II 6000, 2 Aerated K1 MBs, Two Multi-Cyclone MC50s, 15" Retro BD on ES5500, no-niche skimmer & mid-water pickup on ES5500, Two 500 cu in leaf traps, 4' Max Depth, shelf at 2' & set of steps (slippery!), no plants, Two 40 watt Smart UV Lite Sterilizers, 12 koi ranging from 12 to 26 inches http://www.youtube.com/user/KoiPondPeppy/videos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks like an interesting concept but they amount of space for storage.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sschult View Post
    Looks like an interesting concept but they amount of space for storage.
    Is this the first you've heard of them?

The manufacturer got back to me and said they manufactured for this application before.

I'm not sure how much space they'd take up compared to the canopy fittings, pipe and plastic.

I wonder if they'd blow out of the pond and all over in a high wind. I wish I knew somebody who's used them.
    Annaliese

My Fish ... My Winter Cover ... My Pond ... 6,000 gllns (salt calc), Ultima II 4000, Ultima II 6000, 2 Aerated K1 MBs, Two Multi-Cyclone MC50s, 15" Retro BD on ES5500, no-niche skimmer & mid-water pickup on ES5500, Two 500 cu in leaf traps, 4' Max Depth, shelf at 2' & set of steps (slippery!), no plants, Two 40 watt Smart UV Lite Sterilizers, 12 koi ranging from 12 to 26 inches http://www.youtube.com/user/KoiPondPeppy/videos

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes this is the first time for me but it got to thinking and in the video they mention seeing steam raising from the pond I sorta feel your throwing money away by letting all that heat escape so why not build your regular enclousure allowing you to retain all the heat as air temp, thinking out loud.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes this is the first time for me but it got to thinking and in the video they mention seeing steam raising from the pond I sorta feel your throwing money away by letting all that heat escape so why not build your regular enclousure allowing you to retain all the heat as air temp, thinking out loud.
    I hurt my knees real bad putting up that enclosure. I'm looking for something quick and easy. Not that I can't trip throwing a bunch of balls in the pond but it's probably less of a chance.

I'm still up in the air about them but they are mighty tempting.
    Annaliese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You do make a point mentioning the wind Im thinking anything over 20 to 25 mph they would probably blow out and snow without wind would probably seal the top of the pond not allowing air exchange you really have to think this method of insulation in my opinion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You do make a point mentioning the wind Im thinking anything over 20 to 25 mph they would probably blow out and snow without wind would probably seal the top of the pond not allowing air exchange you really have to think this method of insulation in my opinion.
    I agree. I picture them all over the yard in the snow. They use black ones on ponds near airports to keep birds away and they used them in a CA reservoir to keep water from evaporating. I think with the air diffuser running the pond probably wouldn't seal over. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

My other option is paying somebody to put up the regular thing. We got a lot of snow one year and it bent the rails so that wasn't too good either.

If only I hadn't built the pond 16 feet wide. What a pain to try and cover.
    Annaliese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I agree. I picture them all over the yard in the snow. They use black ones on ponds near airports to keep birds away and they used them in a CA reservoir to keep water from evaporating. I think with the air diffuser running the pond probably wouldn't seal over. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

My other option is paying somebody to put up the regular thing. We got a lot of snow one year and it bent the rails so that wasn't too good either.

If only I hadn't built the pond 16 feet wide. What a pain to try and cover.
    Would you consider schedule 80 pvc for the frame.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Would you consider schedule 80 pvc for the frame.
    I tried to make a pvc frame one time but couldn't get it to work. It just kept flopping every which way. Maybe because the pond is 16 feet wide? They look so good online. I don't know why mine didn't work. I would imagine pvc is less sturdy than the 5/8" chain link fence rails.

I've been hard scaping around the pond so no sticking anything into dirt.
    Annaliese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good morning, you could use a couple of tees in the center area of the pond pointing downwards and come all the way to the bottom of the pond and and ad a 5 way tee adding just 4 to 5 inch pieces with end caps so there are no sharp edges exposed to the koi those would add excellent support have enough grade so the snow can be easily pushed off.