Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding start up

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Breeding start up

Hello: I will soon be retired from my 40+ year career as an Engineer on towboats on the Mississippi. My retirement project is to start up a Koi Breeding hobby/dream. I am fortunate to have plenty of available space. My wife and I have lived on 80 acres in the Ozarks of Missouri for over twenty years. I would like to keep all of you posted on the progress of the operation.
    One of the first steps I have taken was to contact and excavator I met while building our home. He is currently digging some mud ponds for me to use. Three for grow out and one more
    shallower for fry. The three grow out ponds will be 80 ft wide by 150 ft long with and 8 ft water depth. I plan on only going 4 ft deep on the fry pond.
    I contacted a well driller and he will probably be able to drill the well in another week or two. I will be doing an open flow well, which means there is no pressure tank involved just open a valve and turn on the pump.
    I will be installing my own overflow pipes, water lines for filling and flow through water. And will run electric line and conduit to each pond for air pumps.
    For a fish house I have found a vendor for tubular green house structures. https://multisheltersolutions.com. My plan is to have four 10,000 gal. concrete holding thanks as well as several 1000 gal plastic stock tanks.

Through reading "The Pond Forum" I found a most amazing place. Purdin Koi Farm. I made an appointment to visit a few days ago. The farm is managed and operated by two of the most wonderful people and Koi keeper/breeders you could ever wish to meet. I purchased a pair of parent koi (Oyagoi). Kohaku. And will also hope to get a Showa pair as well. Being a novice at breeding and culling I believe these two pair will be challenging enough for some time to come.
    Below is a picture of the first grow out pond nearly finish and a photo of the female purchased from Purdins.

20180126_164151.jpg20180125_103331.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I could use some help. Have been searching the Web. for fry nets and not finding what I need. Any recommendations?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRKllc View Post
    I could use some help. Have been searching the Web. for fry nets and not finding what I need. Any recommendations?
    Look at the vendors listed here in the forum you should be able to find what you're looking for maybe one day all purchase the correct nets for now what I have done is, I had a bunch of small nets from my fish room days just played with them till they looked round enough for me and made some adjustments with needle and thread to the neting and you can see exactly in some of my pictures.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ok. I think I will shop for some mesh fabric I like and make my own. thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have water running in to first grow out pond. Just a garden hose from the house for now. The utilities company and the well driller should be here in a couple of weeks.

20180130_130944.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Grow out pond #2 finished. Chose to go only six feed water depth on this one.

grow out 2.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At some point you are going to set up deterents for predators maybe ahead of your thoughts but what are your plans.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Planning on the nylon strings across the ponds like I have seen on youtube over some of the Japanese ponds and also in the Beni Hanna videos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A new well for these ponds is in.

20180206_154112.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The excavation of all ponds is complete. Two grow out ponds and two fry ponds. Expecting the pump to be installed in the well today. The concrete tanks and fish house won't be coming until April.

20180208_161608.jpg