Thread: Dead mouse in the pond!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Dead mouse in the pond!

Ok, so this winter we had to bring our fish in the house due to the temperatures dropping so low that the water froze down to the bottom.

That started this whole debacle. He came out of his winter state and I was told that if we put him back outside it would hurt him so we kept him inside.

So a few weeks ago I drained the pond and started spring cleaning of it, there was a large algae bloom, I cleaned the pond and left it empty overnight. Long story short I forgot about it due to life for a short time and when we looked at it one day there was a dead mouse in the pond, I got it out and didn't think anything of it until I when out today to check the pond and saw that the water was very dirty so I started cleaning it out. Well as I was changing the water and getting leaves out I found a second dead mouse that was at the bottom and decayed.
    So What do I do now? Clean it again or recycle the water? How do I clean it? vinegar?

Info about the pond and fish:
    It is a 50-gallon pond that has been running for over 2 years with no trouble.
    There are no plants that lived through the winter and the pond is a formed one with a bare bottom. The only thing in it is a terracotta pot.
    The fish himself, his name is Sidney, is a Shubunkin goldfish that is about 4 or 5 years old. We got him from the restaurant I worked for when the 200-gallon they had failed and cracked. He was one of the four of 10 fish that lived after ending up on the floor.

Thanks

P.s. I also found worms in the water too....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    50 gallons shouldn't concern about the cycle and just one fish that can be managed, find how the mice are climbing in and remove the worms could have come from all the decomposition in the water.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by sschult View Post
    50 gallons shouldn't concern about the cycle and just one fish that can be managed, find how the mice are climbing in and remove the worms could have come from all the decomposition in the water.
    The pond is sunk into to ground so the mice can walk up to it, I think it was empty so the mice went down to the bottom maybe and drown there. I never had this problem when the fish was in the pond. Here is a picture of the pond.
    039694057182.jpg

I have the pond drained again and all the worms and stuff out. Do I need to clean it or just put water back in the pond?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would definitely sanitize it because of whatever the previous batch of water had.
    At some point common sense must prevail.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it was empty so the mice went down to the bottom maybe and drown there
    Make your own future.Make acca insurance deals your own hope