Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOOD SPRING FOOD?????

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GOOD SPRING FOOD?????

looking for a good general spring koi
    food does anyoneknow about this one or any other reconmendations ???They are looking hungry...http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...69&pcatid=5569

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    That's good stuff yes!

I tend to do a mix. I bought some Miracle Food from Birdman that the fish are loving, I actually use the Dr's Foster Brand food also, which is actually pretty solid and sports good numbers. And whatever else I buy and just mix it all up.
    This is my opinion. It is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In the lte fall, winter and early spring I use the sinking mixed with hai feng growth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bill can probably get you a good price on it, too.

Will Schultze

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I probably could talk a few paragraphs about decades of seasonal feeding of Koi. BUT, I don't subscribe to that anymore. the last three years I have feed the same mix in ever decreasing amounts to correspond with the water temperature. It's worked just fine and has saved me from always planning to purchase a different food to have on hand to meet the season. In spring after fasting, I might soak the pellets ahead of time to soften to help them get their digestion back started up a little easier. I do know this goes against the trend, but I'm more into seeing what works with me instead of going with the current mentality.
    I had agreed with a mixture of food to keep a well combined elements of nutrition, ( not having all the eggs in one basket mentality) But I'm re-thinking that with the new food, I'm now trying. The koi really love it you can tell by their milling anticipation when It's feeding time.After intensive study of it's contents, I think it is a WHOLE food. If I had to make one less than complimentary comment, it would be getting used to the garlic smell which is always present in the fish room as well as the filter rooms. I suspect when I move them outside, the open air will solve that concern. I know this non-seasonal approach is not the current norm and if you find seasonal foods work with you then I think if it's not broken you don't have to fix it. I think the freshness and content of the food more important than switching varieties, and that volumns is the key. Watching waste on the water and in the sump ( BB Bead, etc)
    can help you adjust volumns with water temperture. Just something else to be aware of instead of reading reams of chatline threads naming different manufacturers of foods and their combinsations :) In my seminars I often see the mentality from my students that passes into koi from dog or cats and that is Koi treats. Believing that all things like variety. But my answer is that in the wild carp eat what is present and available in nature. If it's snails, crayfish etc, they eat what is available and propsper. So I think we do things like treats for our own satisfaction and NOT for what the koi actually need.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've found a great treat that they seem to love: slugs. Whenever I find them in the garden, they go to the pond, where they will never come within 2 feet of the bottom before being snapped up. When I find them in the house, I give them to my daughter's 2 pet rats, who greedily grab them and run. Pets seem to love soft, nice slugs.

I started mine this spring when the water temp was consistently above 55 with a family size box of Cheerios. Don't need to soak them, they soften almost instantly in water, especially when you break them up. One box lasts a couple weeks of slowly increasing feeding, supplemented at the end with moistened Miracle Koi. Then, I went directly to small doses of summer food with some variety mixed in now and again. May not be the best, but it has worked well for me, until I learn better.

Will Schultze

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    awwwwwwwwwww will at least you learn! lol
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well, I was kind of hoping for critique. But, I'll take baiting, too.

Will Schultze

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Photobucket
    Well being a non koi peep, I can't critique!
    Chris Goldfish & Shubunkin ponds
    Pond is still in progress, 85 foot stream, one large pond, multiple small ones, multiple waterfalls, one large bog garden / filter

Live every day as if it is your last, enjoy it to the fullest, because one day it will sure will

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ld-in-progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I still do the wheat in Spring and Fall. The food I got is Hikari Wheat-Germ. It's floating mini pellets.